Data Scientist Security Architect
Excited by using massive amounts of data to develop machine learning (ML) models for cyber security? Want to help the largest global enterprises operate safely in the cloud and securely derive business value through the adoption of artificial intelligence? Eager to learn from many different enterprise's use cases of AWS ML and security services? Thrilled to be key part of Amazon, who has been investing in machine learning and cyber security, pioneering and shaping the world's technology? Our Professional Services organization works together with our AWS customers to address their security needs – and we are growing our use of AI, ML, and advanced analytics in this pursuit.
At AWS, we're hiring technical specialists at the convergence of the three hottest areas in tech: Data Science, Cyber Security, and Cloud Services. Are we only hiring magical unicorns with depth of skills in all three…? Nope. You're a great fit for this role if you have hands-on experience in data science and have some exposure to Security or Cloud. We'll help you grow into a unicorn while you work directly with Amazon's biggest customers – leveraging data and analytics to help them find innovative ways to work securely in the cloud.
This role will give you an opportunity to exercise a broad range of skills in data science, analytics, and information security – all using cloud services in large scale computing environments. Large enterprises always face an important security challenge: a diverse, constantly evolving attack surface, huge data sets capturing all types of activity, a large number of variables to sort through, and weak signals indicating bad behavior – often from intelligent adversaries. This is a great data science challenge area, and operating in the cloud brings new advantages, capabilities, and some challenges. We need strong people to help us deliver new solutions for customers.
- Expertise – Customers using AWS are collecting more data than ever before about their network, infrastructure, services, applications, and users. There is a broad canvas of security-related data waiting to be tapped to help our customers know their information resources and keep them safe. You're an expert at data – envisioning scenarios, cleaning data, gaining initial insight, building models, iterating, and bringing action from insight.
- Solutions – You like working with customers to solve problems and identify opportunities. You'll define and deliver on-site technical engagements with partners and customers. This includes not only delivering custom solution engagements, but also participating in pre-sales on-site visits, understanding customer security and compliance requirements, evaluating their data and analytics readiness, and proposing and delivering packaged offerings.
- Delivery - Engagements include on-site projects proving the use of ML, AI, and data analytic services to support information security in the cloud. Engagements will include migration of existing applications, evolution of existing capabilities and process, and development of new applications using AWS cloud services.
- Practice Development – Helping customers is our number one goal – but it's not our only goal. With each engagement, you're looking for ways to collect, capture, package and share your knowledge with new customers, partners, and AWS employees. You are a force-multiplier – developing tools, services, and new artifacts to help others build on the work you deliver.
Amazon aims to be the most customer centric company on earth. Amazon Web Services (AWS) provides a highly reliable, scalable, low-cost infrastructure platform in the cloud that powers critical applications for hundreds of thousands of businesses in 190 countries around the world.
Education and experience:
- Either… Phd/MTech/MS or equivalent degree in Computer Science or Mathematics or Statistics with 3-5 years experience in predictive modeling, data science and analysis
- Bachelor or Masters Degree in a highly quantitative field (Computer Science, Machine Learning, Operational Research, Statistics, Mathematics, etc.) 5+ years experience in predictive modeling, data science and analysis
- Experience using Python and/or R
- Experience using SparkML and other ML libraries such as scikit-learn, caret, mlr, MLlib
- Experience manipulating and transforming large datasets
- Hands-on comfort with a subset of SQL, Hadoop ecosystem (Hive, Spark, etc.), NoSQL, Key/Value stores, document stores
- Experience in supporting internal and external customers. You understand what it means to draw out critical customer needs and focus your knowledge and creativity to deliver practical outcomes addressing those needs.
In addition, you should have familiarity with information security and/or cloud services and be excited about developing these skills further:
- Commercial security solutions such as web application firewalls, IDS/IPS, SIEM, DLP, DDOS mitigation
- Experience automating IT & security tasks
- Building security reference architecture for cloud deployments and hybrid scenarios
- Implementation experience with enterprise security solutions such as WAF, IPS, Anti-DDOS, and SIEM
- Experience handling terabyte size datasets
- Track record of diving into data to discover hidden patterns
- Strong troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
- Effective communication and strong collaboration skills
- Understanding of enterprise risk management methods and techniques to drive successful outcomes in a multi-national environment
- Understanding architectural implications of meeting industry standards such as PCI DSS, ISO 27001, HIPAA, and NIST/DoD frameworks.
- Experience with AWS Services
- Working knowledge of cloud computing technologies and workload transition challenges
- Familiarity with distributed computational approaches
- Experience with scalable, distributed computing frameworks
- Familiarity with archive, backup/recovery and business continuity processes in distributed operations
Amazon.com is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation
Meet Some of Amazon's Employees
Senior UX Designer
Mae integrates human-centered design into tools that enable business partners to operate efficiently and intuitively. She analyzes customer needs and pain points to improve designs.
Back to top