Amazon's Performance Engineering Team is looking for strong software developers to design and build systems to support our performance program and drive continuous technology improvement across the company. Your job will be to take Amazon's massive infrastructure, make it run as lean and efficiently as possible, all while enabling the company to stay on the bleeding edge of growth and innovation. You will be focused on defining and building new infrastructure, proposing and evaluating new standards and techniques to improve existing systems, while providing access, learnings and best practices to all development teams. Your work will influence the operation of hundreds of teams and thousands of services.
Our ideal candidate will have experience envisioning and building creative performance improvement solutions, and shifting engineering culture to place a high value on performance optimization. In addition, you will help educate teams on how to incorporate these practices into their daily work. You will partner with both your own team as well as teams across the company, dive deep, and understand how to balance customer obsession, availability, agility, and high performance and cost efficiency within Amazon's unique enterprise service oriented architecture. You will have the sponsorship you need from the Consumer organization's top leaders to identify potential performance improvements in all facets of technology including advancing new platforms and optimization approaches, benchmarking cost efficiency of Amazon's latest hardware and services, identifying and driving large categories of optimizations, and simplifying complex architectures to optimize service performance. Among your team's legacy will be continuous and automatic diagnostic profiling which will drive continuous improvement across all teams.
You will participate in all phases of software development to build services to support our goal. Your systems will drive service and product performance opportunities, from idea generation to scoping, to strategy building and ultimately automation for self-monitoring, self-diagnosing and self-healing solutions. As a successful candidate, you will be a rock-star developer, be data driven, have the ability to creatively deal with ambiguity, and juggle cross-organization complexity. If you are interested in making a huge impact within a massive and rapidly
expanding system, come join our team!
In this role, you will:
- Work with large amounts of real-world performance and utilization data
- Collaborate with colleagues from science, engineering and business background
- Combine knowledge of statistical methodology and analysis with programming skills to support complex analyses
- Present proposals and results in a clear manner backed by data and coupled with actionable conclusions
The right candidate:
- Has a strong track record of working with large and complex data sets, and translating data into insights to drive key business and product decisions
- Has excellent business and communication skills, and the ability to work with and influence partner teams and leadership
- Has a solid understanding of efficient and scalable data processing and an ability to use the data in financial and statistical modeling
- Strong problem solving skills, and an ability to apply them in a fast-paced business environment
- Experience working in cross-functional teams and communicating with business and technical customers to drive requirements analysis
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- MS/PhD degree in analytical area such as Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Economics, or related discipline
- 3-5 years of relevant experience with data mining, SQL, building reporting, and statistical modeling
- Experience writing scripts (Perl and/or Python) to manipulate data
- Passion for data and numbers
- 5-7 years experience with various machine learning/statistical modeling data analysis tools and techniques, and parameters that affect their performance
- Track record of diving into data to discover hidden patterns and of conducting error/deviation analysis
- Ability to develop experimental and analytic plans for data modeling processes, use of strong baselines, ability to accurately determine cause and effect relations
- Understanding of relevant statistical measures such as confidence intervals, significance of error measurements, development and evaluation data sets, etc.
- Experience developing software in traditional programming languages (C++, Java, Ruby).
- Experience with computing infrastructure metrics
- Experience working with AWS products
- Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer - Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation
Meet Some of Amazon's Employees
Senior UX Designer
Mae integrates human-centered design into tools that enable business partners to operate efficiently and intuitively. She analyzes customer needs and pain points to improve designs.
Back to top