- Chennai, India
"Amazon Science gives you insight into the company's approach to customer-obsessed scientific innovation. Amazon fundamentally believes that scientific innovation is essential to being the most customer-centric company in the world. It's the company's ability to have an impact at scale that allows us to attract some of the brightest minds in artificial intelligence and related fields. Our scientists continue to publish, teach, and engage with the academic community, in addition to utilizing our working backwards method to enrich the way we live and work."
Please visit https://www.amazon.science for more information
Do you enjoy transforming data into actionable insights and taking data-driven approach to solving complex business problems? The Pricing and Analytics group on Amazon Retail Operations and Initiatives team is looking for a talented Data Scientist to drive world-class analysis and guide strategic business decisions to support our Pricing and Revenue Optimizations.
At Amazon, you will be working in one of the world's largest and most complex data environments. The Data Scientist will work closely with research scientists, machine learning experts, and economists in our partner teams as well as Business Intelligence Engineers and Products Managers in our team to design and run experiments, research new algorithms, and find new ways to improve Pricing analytics to optimize our business and our customers' experience.
Our tools rely heavily on mathematical optimization, stochastic simulation and machine learning techniques. In addition, Amazon often finds existing techniques do not effectively match our unique business needs which necessitates the innovation and development of new approaches and algorithms to find an adequate solution.
To succeed in this role you should be passionate about working with large datasets and be someone who loves to bring data together to answer key business questions. You should have deep expertise in the creation and management of datasets and the proven ability to translate the data into meaningful insights. You should have a solid understanding of efficient and scalable data mining and an ability to use the data in financial and statistical modeling.
The successful candidate will be comfortable with advanced SQL query design and data mining techniques, have strong analytical skills, and have a passion for using data to drive business decisions. You attack complex business questions with data and curiosity, diving below the surface to identify the root cause. You develop strong working relationships with business partners to define and understand key questions and analyze data to answer those questions - driving strategic business decisions.
The key strategic objectives for this role include:
• Understanding drivers, impacts, and key influences on Pricing dynamics.
• Optimizing Pricing to improve the customer experience and grow Amazon's business.
• Drive actions at scale to provide low prices and increased selection for customers using scientifically-based methods and decision making frameworks.
• Helping to build production systems that take inputs from multiple models and make decisions in real time.
• Automating feedback loops for algorithms in production.
• Utilizing Amazon systems and tools to effectively work with terabytes of data.
• Masters in quantitative field (Computer Science, Mathematics, Machine Learning, AI, Statistics, or equivalent)
• 3+ years of experience working in data science in a consumer product company, managing Machine Learning Scientists, Data Scientists, Research Scientists, Applied Scientists, and/or Economists
• Ability to distill informal customer requirements into problem definitions, dealing with ambiguity and competing objectives
• Ability to manage and quantify improvement in customer experience or value for the business resulting from research outcomes
• Experience using a scripting language for managing large datasets
• Ability to quickly adapt to changing priorities and generate innovative solutions in an extremely fast-paced environment
• Superior verbal and written communication skills, ability to convey rigorous mathematical concepts and considerations to non-experts.
• A PhD in a quantitative field (Computer Science, Mathematics, Machine Learning, AI, Statistics, or equivalent)
• Skilled with Java, C++, or other programming language, as well as with R, SAS, MATLAB, Python or similar scripting language
• Advanced knowledge and expertise with Data modelling skills, Advanced SQL with Oracle, MySQL, and Columnar Databases
• Functional knowledge of AWS platforms such as S3, Glue, Athena, Sagemaker.
• Experience leading cross-functional projects and effectively communicating with both business and technical teams
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit
Back to top