- Seattle, WA
The Alexa Data Services (ADS) organization supports voice synthesis and recognition capabilities for Alexa, the cloud-based service that powers devices like Amazon Echo, Echo Show, Echo Plus, Echo Spot, Echo Dot, and more. The Alexa service is always getting smarter, adding more functionality, every hour, every day. Our team merges innovation and core technologies to build brand-new linguistic features and quality assurance capabilities, continuously improving Amazon's products.
Come build the future of human-technology interaction with us.
We are seeking a Data Linguist to join Amazon Data Services. This role focuses on speech and language data, primarily in the areas of phonemic transcription, voice quality assurance, and general language expansion deliverables.
Driven by your passion for data, you show proactive behavior in solving issues with efficiency and accuracy. Your organizational skills help you prioritize your projects in an ever-changing environment. Your ability to concentrate and your high attention to detail help you deliver high-quality work.
In this role, you're comfortable with, and understand, the changes to the conventions deployed in response to internal customers' requests. You demonstrate the ability to adjust your workflows accordingly, and you prioritize strict compliance with regulatory requirements.
In this role, you will:
• Build a thorough understanding of labeling conventions and provide support to global sites.
• Deliver high quality data output within deadlines.
• Work autonomously with minimum direction.
• Handle unique data analysis requests from a wide range of internal customers.
• Contribute to process improvements to reduce handling time and improve data output.
• Dive deep into issues and implement solutions independently.
• Provide quality expertise to other team members and coaching improvements.
• BA or BS degree in Linguistics/Computational Linguistics, or equivalent practical experience in data mark-up.
• Extensive experience with phonemic transcription in the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA) and/or X-SAMPA.
• Native level fluency in English.
• Experience with command line tools.
• Competency in one or more non-English world languages (e.g. French, German, Spanish).
• Experience working with interaction data, including experience with annotation and other forms of data markup.
• Practical knowledge of data processing needs and trade-offs.
• Comfortable working with speech from various dialects and accents.
• Willing to work with audio content (wearing headsets) for a portion of the day.
• Comfortable working in a fast paced, highly collaborative, dynamic work environment.
• Capable of working in strict compliance with internal guidelines.
• Ability to quickly grasp technical concepts and learn in-house user-interface tools.
• Strong research skills.
• Willingness to support several projects at one time, and to accept reprioritization as necessary.
Back to top