Data Engineer II
- Seattle, WA
Do you want to build a cutting-edge highly scalable data platform using AWS technologies? How about building this platform to support the fast growth of AWS itself? Is problem solving through teamwork in your DNA? Do you like the idea of seeing how your work impacts the bigger picture? Answer yes to any of these and you'll fit right in here at Amazon Web Services.
Amazon Web Services (AWS) is seeking a Data Engineer (DE) with a passion for developing data architecture and tools to support self-service data analytics. You will play a critical role supporting AWS Finance BI and building solutions to support data needs in one of the world's largest and most complex data environments. In this role, you will have ownership of end-to-end development of data engineering solutions to complex questions and you'll play an integral role in strategic decision-making.
The successful candidate will be a self-starter comfortable with ambiguity, with strong attention to detail, and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment. You will build and manage analytical resources on AWS and support content-related projects. You should have deep expertise in the design, creation, management, and business use of extremely large datasets. Above all you should be passionate about working with huge data sets and eager to learn new solutions to answer business questions and drive change.
In this role, you will have the opportunity to display and develop your skills in the following areas:
• Design, implement, and support an analytical platform providing ad hoc access to large datasets and computing power
• Managing AWS resources including EC2, RDS, Redshift, Lambda, and etc.
• Interface with other technology teams to extract, transform, and load data from a wide variety of data sources using SQL and AWS big data technologies
• Build robust and scalable data integration (ETL) pipelines using SQL, Python and Spark.
• Recognize and adopt best practices in reporting and analysis: data integrity, test design, analysis, validation, and documentation
• Continually improve ongoing reporting and analysis processes, automating or simplifying self-service support for customers
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, MIS, related technical field, or equivalent work experience.
• At least 2-3 years of relevant work experience in analytics, data engineering, business intelligence or related field
• Demonstrable ability in data modeling, ETL development, and Data warehousing, or similar skills
• Demonstrable advanced skills and experience using SQL with large data sets (e.g. Oracle, Redshift)
• Experience with AWS technologies including Redshift, RDS, S3
• Proficient in one programming language (e.g., Python, Java)
• Proven track record of successful communication of analytical outcomes through written communication, including an ability to effectively communicate with both business and technical teams
• Graduate degree in computer science, business, mathematics, statistics, economics, or other quantitative field
• 3+ years prior experience in a Data Engineer role with a technology company or financial institution.
• Both technically deep and business savvy enough to interface with all levels and disciplines within the organization
• Demonstrated ability to coordinate projects across functional teams, including engineering, IT, product management, finance, and operations
• Experience with AWS technologies including EMR, Kinesis
• Experience with reporting tools like Tableau, Excel or other BI packages
• Familiarity with the DevOps concepts
• Familiarity with Linux
• Experience with Hadoop or other map/reduce "big data" systems and services
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top