- Bengaluru, India
AWS lands more server capacity daily than was used to run the entirety of Amazon.com in the year 2004 when it was already a $7B/year business. To manage this massive growth, we need new software and tools to optimize AWS supply chain. We are building a new generation suite of supply chain management(AWS_SCM) services which can automate and optimize supply chain planning, budgeting, procurement, catalog, inventory management, vendor management and payments.
These are all greenfield projects offering a rare opportunity to build systems from the ground up. You will be part of a new organization within AWS building large scale distributed applications.
The Data Engineer on the AWS SCM execution teams will be the designer and architect for developing a data system that can be scaled to support various business needs. SCM execution teams are responsible for execution our supply chain which includes Execution planner, Ordering, Shipment, Vendor management, Production schedule management and Inventory projector. In this role, the DE would enable multiple teams to provide execution related data to their customers and also aid product and leadership in validating various hypothesis with data. The DE improves business processes, leverages strong data extraction skills to engineer reporting mechanisms, and supports supply chain execution planning. The individual must have the ability to communicate effectively across multiple technical and non-technical teams, as well as across other geographies. Successful members of this team collaborate effectively to solve problems, implement new solutions, and deliver successfully against high operational standards.
The successful candidate will have strong data mining and modeling skills and is comfortable facilitating ideation and working from concept through to execution. This role will also build tools and support structures needed to analyze data. As a Data Engineer in this team, you will be responsible for developing the data architecture components that scales for the ever-evolving data needs. You will solve big data warehousing problems on a massive scale. You will apply cloud-based AWS services to solve challenging problems around: big data processing, data warehouse design, and enabling self-service. You will focus on automation and optimization for all areas of DW/ETL maintenance and deployment. You will work closely with the business intelligence engineers, and the software development teams on many non-standard and unique business problems and use creative problem solving to deliver actionable output. The role of a Sr. data engineer in Amazon requires excellent technical skills in order to develop systems and tools to process data as well as, but not limited to, the ability to analyze data.
A qualified candidate must have demonstrated ability to manage medium to large-scale data modeling projects, identify requirements and tools, build data warehousing solution and tools that are explainable and scalable. In addition to the technical skills, possess strong written and verbal communication skills, strong focus on internal customers and professional demeanour and high intellectual curiosity with ability to learn new concepts/frameworks and technology rapidly as changes arise.
Core responsibilities may include:
• Design, implement and support an analytical data infrastructure providing ad-hoc access to large datasets and computing power
• Interface with other technology teams to extract, transform, and load data from a wide variety of data sources using SQL and AWS big data technologies
• Be enthusiastic about building deep domain knowledge about AWS Supply chain.
• Must possess strong verbal and written communication skills, be self-driven, and deliver high quality results in a fast-paced environment.
• Enjoy working closely with your peers in a group of very smart and talented engineers.
• Help continually improve ongoing reporting and analysis processes, automating or simplifying self-service support for customers
• Explore and learn the latest AWS technologies to provide new capabilities and increase efficiency
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, or a related technical discipline
• Industry experience in Data Engineering, BI Engineer, or related field
• Track record of data management fundamentals and data storage principles
• Hands-on experience and advanced knowledge of SQL, DynamoDB etc.
• Demonstrated strength in data modeling, ETL development, and data warehousing
• Knowledge of distributed systems as it pertains to data storage and computing
• 3+ years of experience as a Data Engineer, BI Engineer, or Systems Analyst in a company with large, complex data sources.
• Experience building/operating highly available, distributed systems of data extraction, ingestion, and processing of large data sets
• Experience working with AWS big data technologies (EMR, Redshift, S3, Glue, Kinesis and Lambda)
• Proven success in communicating with users, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe data modeling decisions and data engineering strategy
• Experience providing technical leadership and mentoring other engineers for best practices on data engineering
• Knowledge of software engineering best practices across the development lifecycle, including agile methodologies, coding standards, code reviews, source management, build processes, testing, and operations
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us
Back to top