- Portland, OR
Would you like to help the AWS Training & Certification product team build the next generation of learning experiences, and empower millions of people to develop and grow their skills on AWS? This is a unique opportunity to be a technical leader to teams building advanced learning solutions from the ground up, using modern native AWS technologies.
Specific responsibilities include the following:
• Design, implement and support an analytical data infrastructure providing ad-hoc access to large datasets and computing power
• Interface with other technology teams to extract, transform, and load data from a wide variety of data sources using SQL and AWS big data technologies
• Managing AWS resources including Lambda, Glue, DynamoDB, LakeFormation, et cetera
• Explore and learn the latest AWS technologies to provide new capabilities and increase efficiency
• Collaborate with other tech teams to implement advanced analytics algorithms that exploit our rich datasets for statistical analysis, prediction, clustering and machine learning
• Collaborate on our technology roadmap to turn visions into reality.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new team members. Our team has a broad mix of experience levels and Amazon tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior engineers truly enjoy mentoring more junior engineers and engineers from non-traditional backgrounds through one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews.
We care about your career growth. We try to assign projects and tasks based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
Work Life Balance
Our team puts a high value on work-live harmony. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
We are looking for a passionate data engineer to develop a robust, scalable data model and optimize the consumption of data sources we require to generate unique insights about our systems. You will share in the ownership of the technical vision and direction for advanced analytics and insight products. You will work with top-notch technical professionals developing complex systems at scale and with a focus on sustained operational excellence. Members of this team will be challenged to innovate using the latest big data techniques. We are looking for people who are motivated by thinking big, moving fast, and exploring business insights. If you love to implement solutions to hard problems while working hard, having fun, and making history, this may be the opportunity for you.
• 3+ years of non-internship professional industry experience in software development, data engineering or related field with a track record of manipulating, processing, and extracting value from large datasets
• Bachelor's degree or foreign equivalent in computer science, engineering, mathematics, or a related technical discipline
• 2+ years of experience with demonstrated strength in ETL development, data modeling, data warehousing technical architecture and infrastructure components
• 2+ years of programming experience with atleast one modern programming languages
• 2+ years of hands-on experience with traditional RDBMS technologies and with writing complex, highly-optimized SQL queries across large data sets
• Knowledge of data management fundamentals, distributed systems as it pertains to data storage and computing
• Proficiency in building/operating highly available, distributed systems of data extraction, ingestion, and processing of large data sets.
• Proficiency in building data products incrementally and integrating and managing datasets from multiple sources.
• Experience with one or more big data technologies (Hadoop, Hive, Hbase, Spark etc.)
• Experience leading large-scale data warehousing and analytics projects, including using AWS technologies Redshift, S3, EC2, Data-pipeline and other big data technologies
• Experience providing technical leadership and mentoring other engineers for best practices on data engineering
• Proven success in communicating with users, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe data modeling decisions and data engineering strategy
• Familiarity with statistical models and data mining algorithms
• Knowledge of software engineering best practices across the development lifecycle, including agile methodologies, coding standards, code reviews, source management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Strong analytical skills
• Ability to work in a diverse team environment.
• Masters in computer science, mathematics, statistics, economics, or other quantitative fields.
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top