Data Engineer - AWS FinTech
- Seattle, WA
Are you passionate about data? Does the prospect of dealing with massive volumes of data excite you? Do you want to build data engineering solutions that process billions of records a day in a scalable fashion using AWS technologies? Do you want to create the next-generation tools for intuitive data access? If so, Amazon Finance Technology (FinTech) is for you!
FinTech is seeking a Data Engineer to join the team that is shaping the future of the finance data platform. The team is committed to building the next generation big data platform that will be one of the world's largest finance data warehouse to support Amazon's rapidly growing and dynamic businesses, and use it to deliver the BI applications which will have an immediate influence on day-to-day decision making. Amazon has culture of data-driven decision-making, and demands data that is timely, accurate, and actionable. Our platform serves Amazon's finance, tax and accounting functions across the globe.
As a Data Engineer, you should be an expert with data warehousing technical components (e.g. Data Modeling, ETL and Reporting), infrastructure (e.g. hardware and software) and their integration. You should have deep understanding of the architecture for enterprise level data warehouse solutions using multiple platforms (RDBMS, Columnar, Cloud). You should be an expert in the design, creation, management, and business use of large data-sets. You should have excellent business and communication skills to be able to work with business owners to develop and define key business questions, and to build data sets that answer those questions. The candidate is expected to be able to build efficient, flexible, extensible, and scalable ETL and reporting solutions. You should be enthusiastic about learning new technologies and be able to implement solutions using them to provide new functionality to the users or to scale the existing platform. Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required as the person will work very closely with diverse teams. Having strong analytical skills is a plus. Above all, you should be passionate about working with huge data sets and someone who loves to bring data-sets together to answer business questions and drive change.
Our ideal candidate thrives in a fast-paced environment, relishes working with large transactional volumes and big data, enjoys the challenge of highly complex business contexts (that are typically being defined in real-time), and, above all, is a passionate about data and analytics. In this role you will be part of a team of engineers to create world's largest financial data warehouses and BI tools for Amazon's expanding global footprint.
• Design, implement, and support a platform providing secured access to large datasets.
• Interface with tax, finance and accounting customers, gathering requirements and delivering complete BI solutions.
• Model data and metadata to support ad-hoc and pre-built reporting.
• Own the design, development, and maintenance of ongoing metrics, reports, analyses, dashboards, etc. to drive key business decisions.
• Recognize and adopt best practices in reporting and analysis: data integrity, test design, analysis, validation, and documentation.
• Tune application and query performance using profiling tools and SQL.
• Analyze and solve problems at their root, stepping back to understand the broader context.
• Learn and understand a broad range of Amazon's data resources and know when, how, and which to use and which not to use.
• Keep up to date with advances in big data technologies and run pilots to design the data architecture to scale with the increased data volume using AWS.
• Continually improve ongoing reporting and analysis processes, automating or simplifying self-service support for datasets.
• Triage many possible courses of action in a high-ambiguity environment, making use of both quantitative analysis and business judgment.
• 3+ years of experience as a Data Engineer or in a similar role
• Experience with data modeling, data warehousing, and building ETL pipelines
• Experience in SQL
• Bachelor's degree in CS or related technical field.
• 5+ years of work experience with ETL, Data Modeling, and Data Architecture.
• 3+ years experience using big data technologies (Parquet, Spark, Hadoop, Presto, EMR, etc.)
• Excellent knowledge of SQL and Linux OS
• Proficiency in at least one modern programming language such as Java, Scala, or Python
• Excellent understanding of software development life cycle and/or agile development environment with emphasis on BI practices.
• Master's degree in Information Systems or a related field.
• Experience using business intelligence reporting tools (Tableau, Business Objects, Cognos, etc.)
• Knowledge of data management fundamentals and data storage principles
• Knowledge of distributed systems as it pertains to data storage and cloud computing
• Strong problem-solving skills and ability to prioritize conflicting requirements.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills and ability to succinctly summarize key findings.
• Experience working with AWS Big Data Technologies (EMR, Redshift, S3)
• Strong organizational and multitasking skills with ability to balance multiple priorities.
• Experience providing technical leadership and mentor other engineers for the best practices on the data engineering space.
• An ability to work in a fast-paced environment where continuous innovation is occurring and ambiguity is the norm.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top