Each day, thousands of developers make trillions of transactions worldwide on our cloud. Almost all of them are harnessing the power of Amazon Web Services (AWS) to enable innovative applications, websites, and businesses. We store all these transactions for analysis and reporting.
Amazon Web Services is seeking an outstanding Data Engineer to join the AWS Data Lake team. Amazon.com has a culture of data-driven decision-making, and demands business intelligence that is timely, accurate, and actionable.
The AWS Data Lake team's mission is to help customers to see and understand their use of the AWS Cloud. We collect and process billions of usage transactions every day into actionable information in the Data Lake and make it available to our internal service owners to analyze their business and service our external customers.
We are truly leading the way to disrupt the data warehouse industry. We are accomplishing this vision by leveraging relational database technologies like Redshift along with emerging Big Data technologies like Elastic Map Reduce (EMR) to build a data platform capable of scaling with the ever-increasing volume of data produced by AWS services. The successful candidate will can shape and build AWS' data lake and supporting systems for years to come.
You should have deep expertise in the design, creation, management, and business use of large datasets, across a variety of data platforms. You should have excellent business and communication skills to work with business owners to understand data requirements, and to build ETL to ingest the data into the data lake. You should be an expert at designing, implementing, and operating stable, scalable, low-cost solutions to flow data from production systems into the data lake. Above all, be passionate about working with vast data sets and someone who loves to bring datasets together to answer business questions and drive growth.
This position requires that the candidate selected be a U.S. citizen and must currently possess an active Top Secret security clearance. The position further requires that, after start, the selected candidate get and maintain an active TS/SCI security clearance with polygraph and satisfy other security related requirements.
• This position requires a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or a related technical field, and 5+ years of relevant employment experience
• 5+ years of work experience with ETL, Data Modeling, and Data Architecture.
• Expert-level skills in writing and optimizing SQL.
• Experience with Big Data technologies such as Hadoop/Hive/Spark.
• Solid Linux skills.
• Experience operating very large data warehouses or data lakes.
• Current, active US Government Security Clearance of Top Secret or above
• Expertise in ETL optimization, designing, coding, and tuning big data processes using Apache Spark or similar technologies.
• Experience with building data pipelines and applications to stream and process datasets at low latencies.
• Show efficiency in handling data - tracking data lineage, ensuring data quality, and improving discoverability of data.
• Sound knowledge of distributed systems and data architecture (lambda)- design and implement batch and stream data processing pipelines, knows how to optimize the distribution, partitioning, and MPP of high-level data structures.
• Knowledge of Engineering and Operational Excellence using standard methodologies.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
We are dedicated to supporting our new team members. Our team has a broad mix of experience levels and Amazon tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship.
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren't focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we're happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced lifeboth in and outside of work.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status.
For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.