- Boston, MA
The Amazon Web Services' (AWS) Event Technology team is looking for a Data Engineer (DE) with a passion for working on cutting edge technology, who obsesses over bar raising experiences for customers, and thrives on the challenge of building something new that will operate at world-wide scale to join our fast paced team. In this role, you will be responsible for implementing modern, creative, and innovative data experiences across a breadth of customer facing web apps, our data warehouse for reporting, and integration with third party applications.
If you are passionate about building state-of-the-art web applications and services that focus on simplicity, innovation, performance, consider applying for this role! Your work will have high visibility across AWS internally, and the global AWS community of developers and users.
What you will work on: The Events Technology team is building a new platform entirely on cutting edge AWS services - including CloudFront, API Gateway, Lambda, GraphQL, SQS, DynamoDB and more, with state-of-the-art open source front end frameworks, libraries, and toolchains to deliver a set of highly scalable, performant, serverless, and responsive webapps for our global events organization. Our application will be used by millions of users each year and generate significant amounts of data through which we can continually improve our customers' experiences. You will own the end to end data pipeline from infrastructure to insights. Your work will have high visibility across the AWS team and global AWS community of developers and users.
What we are looking for: We are looking for a passionate data engineer to develop a robust, scalable data model and optimize the consumption of data sources we require to generate unique insights about our systems. You will share in the ownership of the technical vision and direction for advanced analytics and insight products. You will work with top-notch technical professionals developing complex systems at scale and with a focus on sustained operational excellence. Members of this team will be challenged to innovate using the latest big data techniques. We are looking for people who are motivated by thinking big, moving fast, and exploring business insights. If you love to implement solutions to hard problems while working hard, having fun, and making history, this may be the opportunity for you.
We want a person with a commitment to team work, who enjoys working on cutting edge technology in a fast-paced environment, is customer centric, and thrives on the challenge of building something new that will operate at world-wide scale.
In this role, you will have the opportunity to display your skills in the following areas:
• Managing AWS resources including Glue, RDS, Redshift, Quicksight, etc
• Interface with other technology teams to extract, transform, and load data from a wide variety of data sources using SQL and AWS big data technologies
• Explore and learn the latest AWS technologies to provide new capabilities and increase efficiency
• Collaborate with Business Intelligence Engineers (BIEs) to recognize and help adopt best practices in reporting and analysis: data integrity, test design, analysis, validation, and documentation
• Collaborate with other tech teams to implement advanced analytics algorithms that exploit our rich datasets for statistical analysis, prediction, clustering and machine learning
• Work directly with our key customer stakeholders to help continually improve ongoing reporting and analysis processes, automating or simplifying self-service support for customers
Location: This role open to these locations: Seattle & Dallas. Relocation offered from within the US to any of these locations.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have twelve employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded professional and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
• Bachelor's degree in computer science, engineering, mathematics, or a related technical discipline, or equivalent experience
• 4+ years of industry experience in software development, data engineering, business intelligence, data science, or related field with a track record of manipulating, processing, and extracting value from large datasets
• 2+ years of experience with traditional RDBMS technologies, SQL and SQL tuning
• 2+ years of experience in data modeling, ETL development, and data warehousing
• Experience in one or more scripting or programming language
Location: This role open to these locations: Seattle, Boston, Dallas, TX & Arlington, VA. Relocation offered from within the US to any of these locations.
• Knowledge of data management fundamentals, distributed systems as it pertains to data storage and computing
• Proficiency in building/operating highly available, distributed systems of data extraction, ingestion, and processing of large data sets.
• Proficiency in building data products incrementally and integrating and managing datasets from multiple sources.
• Proven success in communicating with users, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe data modeling decisions and data engineering strategy
• Experience leading large-scale data warehousing and analytics projects, including using AWS technologies Redshift, S3, EC2, Data-pipeline and other big data technologies
• Experience providing technical leadership and mentoring other engineers for best practices on data engineering
• Knowledge of software engineering best practices across the development lifecycle, including agile methodologies, coding standards, code reviews, source management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Masters in computer science, mathematics, statistics, economics, or other quantitative fields.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top