Data Centre Engineering Operations Cluster Manager
- Denver, CO
The Regional Data Centre Engineering Manager, with be responsible for data center engineering operations across three Amazon Data Center availability zones, managing a team of engineers responsible for the 100% availability of mechanical and electrical services, including risk management and mitigation, corrective and preventative maintenance of critical infrastructure, Colo vendor management and metric reporting.
• Responsible for the on-site management of shift technicians, senior shift technicians, sub-contractors and vendors, ensuring that all work performed is in accordance with Amazon practices and procedures.
• Has primary responsibility for engineering systems availability in both leased and colocated facilities.
• Conducts financial analysis and contributes to financial decisions.
• Typically manages 5 or more direct reports.
• Negotiates and rolls out contracts and defines and audits SLA's.
• May oversee the build out of Facility-specific infrastructure in existing locations.
• Participates in recruiting efforts. Continually raises the bar.
• Is active in the training and/or development of others.
• Executes vision and goals for the team or department.
• Will conduct Project Management for multiple sites.
• Draws from a deep group or department level understanding to make business decisions.
• Uses business knowledge to set priorities and develop project plans.
• Has a deep understanding of best practices in their area of expertise and ensures their application.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Strong attention to detail and organizational skills.
• Able to prioritize in complex, fast-paced environment.
• Will contribute to the development of the project plan for the business group.
• Effectively sets priorities to meet goals on budget and on time.
• Is resourceful, maintains effective pace and gets things done.
• May manage individuals and/or other managers in remote locations.
• Insists on the highest standards from self and others. Drives accountability for results.
• Keeps others informed of information that contributes to the performance of the team, department or company.
• Engenders trust and respect in all working relationships.
• Establish performance benchmarks, conduct analyses, and prepare reports on all aspects of the critical facility operations and maintenance.
• Work with IT managers and other business leaders to coordinate projects, manage capacity, and optimize plant safety, performance, reliability and efficiency.
• Operate and manage both routine and emergency services on a variety of critical systems such as: switchgear, generators, UPS systems, power distribution equipment, chillers, cooling towers, computer room air handlers, building monitoring systems, etc.
• May assist in the design and build out of new facilities.
• May assist in projects to increase current facilitiy efficientcy.
• Responsible for asset and inventory management.
• Assist in recruiting efforts
• Deliver quality service and ensure all customer demands are met
• Bachelor's Degree or Technical (Military/ Trade School) Degree and relevant experience.
• 10+ years of relevant work experience.
• 5+ years of experience as a manager of managers.
• 5+ years of relevant experience managing data center operations, facility engineering operations, critical environment facilities, datacenter build-outs and scaling, or similar.
• Masters Degree in Engineering and Business Administration, or related fields.
• Proven ability to hire, develop, and manage high-performing technical teams.
• Expert knowledge of data center mechanical, electrical, and controls systems.
• Prior ownership of the operation of a mission-critical team and/or product.
• Ability to operate independently as a manager of a geographically distributed Infrastructure Operations management team.
• Expertise in one or more continuous improvement methodologies such as Lean or Six Sigma.
• Technical project manager or member of a project team for a new Data Center build out and start up.
• Knowledge of information technology infrastructure domains such as compute server platforms, storage server platforms, server components, network devices, technologies and architectures, IT service delivery principles and best practices.
• Hardware install, troubleshooting and repair, security system install, troubleshooting and repair, and related Operations tasks.
• Operation and maintenance of mechanical, electrical, and controls systems for Amazon Data Centers to include preventive maintenance, corrective maintenance, and change management.
• Vendor management of colocation Data Center services providers to meet or exceed contracted performance SLA's.
• Safety, security, and availability incident response, incident management, and incident resolution.
• Continuous improvement of operational processes, procedures, methods, and tools.
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
- Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer - Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.
Back to top