Data Center Regional Electrical Engineer (Field Engineering)
- Paulínia, Brazil
Please submit your resume in English
The Data Center Field Engineering Team is the engineering owner for the life-cycle of our data centers. This includes supporting new designs/innovations through data center end-of-life, with a focus on root cause analysis of failures, capacity and availability improvement, and optimization of the existing fleet. Amazon's data centers are industry-leading examples of innovation in the areas of space utilization, energy efficiency, high availability, and cost effectiveness. AWS sets the bar for speed to market and reliability.
Amazon Web Services (AWS) is seeking a Field Engineer with an Electrical Engineering background to become part of a global engineering team responsible for existing site project design and continuous innovation of our rapidly expanding fleet. As one of our Field Engineers, you will work directly with our Construction, Operations, and Commissioning teams at the data centers and partner directly with our Design Engineering group who own new-builds. Projects are typically within your assigned region and you will own analysis of problems and subsequent solutions. You will be the engineering representative for an issue where our internal customers will look to you for engineering-based solutions and guidance. AWS has worked hard to develop a large-scale fleet of data centers and drives continuous improvements within our designs. We will look for you to continue that trend by providing suggestions to improve the cost /performance/simplicity of existing designs and systems. This will include reviewing current designs and contributing your field experience to work with the Design Engineering team to develop new systems and equipment.
In addition, Field Engineers act as Resident Engineers during new construction projects - especially in new regions. You will directly support construction as an extension of Design Engineering, and be a part of the process from site selection review through commissioning and site turnover. Amazon has a global presence and domestic and international travel may be necessary up to 25% of your time. Team work is an absolute must for us to accomplish our goals. You must be able to work within a team while both depending on and driving others to accomplish the end goal for our customers. Field Engineers work with internal groups as well as external suppliers and consultants including utilities, manufacturers, vendors, and contractors.
The Field Engineer will be responsible for the following:
• Learn and Understand the design and functionality of the data centers within your assigned Region.
• Troubleshoot problems and conduct Root Cause Analysis (RCA) and Corrective Action (CA) for design and equipment related failures. Field Engineers are expected to become stewards of Availability and directly support our Operations Team.
• Direct Support to Operations technicians/staff including ad-hoc trainings and complex operating procedure review.
• Own the design for existing data center upgrades and design-solutions including projects that add capacity, improve availability, and increase personnel or equipment safety.
• Provide direct influence over all designs for construction of new data centers, including engineering support during the construction and commissioning phases of electrical systems.
• Interface with internal data center design engineering team, server hardware team, environmental health and safety team to promote standards that maintain consistency and reliability in services delivered.
• Travel to your local site to support your workload, and up to 25% travel to other regions.
• Work on concurrent projects, sometimes in multiple geographical regions.
• Be a leader within the group as well as within other teams.
• Be positive and offer creative out of the box solutions.
• Provide immediate technical guidance to operations during critical events.
• Have fun and work hard!
• Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering or equivalent experience.
• 6+ cumulative years of experience with industrial or commercial engineering in Mission Critical facilities. (Experienced Engineer)
Please submit your resume in English
• Coursework in commercial/industrial power systems and/or mechanical systems
• Organized and have the ability to set priorities and meet deadlines and budget
• Possess leadership and problem-solving skills
• Direct experience with the design, construction, operation, or maintenance of mission critical facilities, especially data centers.
• Experience as resident engineer or hands-on (in the field) design consultant.
• Knowledge of building codes and regulations for your region.
• Experience reading, interpreting, and creating construction drawings, specifications, and submittal documents.
• Ability to carry design concepts through exploration, development, and into deployment/mass production
• Possess excellent communication and writing skills, attention to detail, maintain high quality standards
• Basic understanding of both mechanical and electrical equipment/design related to data centers (Including but not limited to: uninterruptible power sources , diesel generators, electrical switchgear, power distribution units, variable frequency drives, automatic/static transfer switches, chillers [air-cooled and water-cooled], pumps, cooling towers, heat exchangers, CRAHs, air economizers, etc...)
• EPMS/SCADA/BMS Controls system experience (software and/or hardware)
• Registered Professional Engineer
• Advanced degree in engineering, business, or related field.
• Have fluent knowledge of continuous operating redundant electrical systems, cooling systems, air flow containment systems and building management systems. (Including but not limited to: uninterruptible power sources, AC/DC conversion, P&ID loops, diesel generators systems and complex arrangements, direct evaporative cooling systems, etc...)
• Ability to develop solutions and execute plans on complex projects
• Experience with fast track design/build projects and or multiple significant upgrade projects
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top