Data Center Project Architect
Data Center Project Architect
Amazon Web Service (AWS) operates 76 Availability Zones (AZs) within 24 geographic Regions around the world, with announced plans for three more Regions, making AWS one of the fastest growing enterprise tech companies ever. Amazon's AWS Data Centers (DC) are a major component of worldwide cloud-computing infrastructure and are industry leading examples of critical facilities.
Architects and Engineers in AWS work to design resilient, cost effective DC facilities. We are responsible for achieving a world class uptime for our customers and drive to develop a fleet of buildings emphasizing security, safety, efficiency, and cost effectiveness, while finding new ways to meet AWS's growing demand. We justify and communicate the technical decisions we make to AWS leadership and work hard to drive continuous advancements in our designs. As an Architect at AWS you will have the opportunity to impact changes in our current design, as well as establish design procedures and protocols for future systems.
The Architectural, Civil and Structural (ACS) Design Team is responsible for the building design of all Amazon DCs world-wide. The ACS Team is seeking an Architect to become part of our growing APAC team. As an AWS Architect you will be part of a highly creative and efficient design team comprised of Architects, Engineers and Designers tasked with solving problems and challenging the status quo. As a subject matter expert, you will have a direct impact on the design of prototypical DC facilities, provide technical guidance to team members, solve large scale implementation issues, and build a strong understanding of international design requirements.
The Data Center Architect will be responsible for the following:
- Work with the other design and engineering professionals on concepts and build projects.
- Manage a portfolio of data center designs and features.
- Development and maintenance of ACS Basis of Design, prototype design, and template specifications for architectural/civil/structural elements.
- Create architectural/civil/structural design RFPs.
- Manage the work of our external architectural/civil/structural design consultants.
- Coordinate with internal and external MEP design engineers.
- Lead initiatives aimed at improving cost, quality, schedule, and consistency.
- Work on multiple data center build and capital improvement projects simultaneously.
- Travel for site assessments, consultant selection activities, internal design meetings, construction review, and to interface with Authorities Having Jurisdiction (AHJ), design consultants, quantity surveyors, and building owners.
- Anticipated travel not to exceed 25%.
- Define data center system-level architecture, document performance and equipment requirements, communicate conceptual designs, and create/maintain project documentation before, during, and after construction.
- Perform and present business case analysis.
- Motivated, dependable and capable of working with limited oversight.
- Accredited Architecture degree
- 8+ years of Industrial Facilities and 3+ years of experience in design of mission critical facilities.
- Working experience with MEP engineering consultants.
- Working knowledge and experience with large scale mechanical and power systems.
- Vendor and consultant management skills.
- Solid working proficient with AutoCAD, Revit, Bluebeam, and MS Office Suite.
- Ability and willingness to think outside of the box to find innovative solutions prior to and during the construction process to reduce costs without negative impacts on quality or reliability.
- Proficiency in building codes, regulations, and standards across the APAC region.
- Excellent communication skills, attention to detail, and high quality standards.
- Ability to effectively communicate design standards to internal and external project partners.
- Ability to manage multiple fast paced projects simultaneously.
- Ability to travel internationally.
- Master's degree in Architecture.
- Licensed Architect in an APAC Juristiction
- 2+ years of experience in Data Center design.
- Drive Continuous Improvement methodologies and culture (ex: LEAN, Six Sigma or TPS).
- Demonstrated ability to evaluate the constructability of new technologies, and determine construction methods of data center equipment and facilities.
Back to top