Amazon Web Services (AWS) is seeking a Data Center Project Architect to join its design team in Herndon, Virginia. Among other project types, this role will specifically support designs for our government customers.
AWS designs, builds, and operates Data Centers (DC) in 24 geographic regions around the world and is one of the fastest growing enterprise tech companies ever. AWS DCs are a leader in worldwide cloud-computing infrastructure.
Architects at AWS work to design resilient, cost effective DC facilities. We are responsible for achieving a world-class uptime for our customers and drive to develop a fleet of buildings emphasizing security, safety, efficiency, and cost effectiveness, while finding new ways to meet AWS's growing demand.
As a DC Project Architect at AWS, you will lead designs for the Civil, Structural, and Architectural disciplines for Amazon DCs in our Americas Region and impact other projects around the world. As a DC Project Architect, you will be part of a highly creative and efficient design team comprised of Architects, Engineers, and Designers tasked with solving problems and challenging the status quo. As a subject matter expert, you will have a direct impact on the design of prototypical DC facilities, provide technical guidance, solve large-scale implementation issues, and build a strong understanding of international architectural, civil, and structural design requirements.
This position requires that the candidate selected be a US Citizen and currently possess and maintain an active Top Secret security clearance.
• Communicate conceptual designs and create/maintain project documentation before, during, and after construction.
• Maintenance of Basis of Design, prototype design, and template specifications for architectural elements.
• Create, review, and release civil/structural/architectural design RFPs.
• Manage our external civil/structural/architectural design consultants through the design and construction process.
• Coordinate with internal and external MEP design engineers.
• Effectively communicate design standards to internal and external project partners.
• Manage multiple fast-paced projects simultaneously.
• Think outside of the box to find innovative solutions prior to and during the construction process to reduce costs without negative impacts on quality or reliability.
• Travel for site assessments, internal design meetings, construction review, and interfacing with design consultants. Anticipated travel not to exceed 25%.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
• Architecture license.
• 7+ years of commercial / industrial design experience.
• 3+ years of data center or mission critical facilities design experience.
• Current, active US Government Security Clearance of Top Secret or above.
• NAAB accredited degree in Architecture.
• Solid working proficiency with AutoCAD, Revit, Bluebeam, and MS Office Suite.
• Proficiency in building codes, regulations, and standards including IBC, IFC, NFPA, UFC.
• Vendor and consultant management skills.
• Excellent communication skills and attention to detail.
• Ability to travel internationally.
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role.
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.