Data Center Operations (DCO) Server Engineer
- Tokyo, Japan
As Amazon Web Services (AWS) continues to build upon the world's largest Cloud Computing Infrastructure, we need Server Engineers to maintain our highly reliable, scalable, low-cost physical infrastructure that powers businesses and individuals all around the world, connecting our customers to their customers.
About The Role
Data Center Operations (DCO) Server Engineers are a part of the Infrastructure Operations Team, the backbone of AWS that supports our rapidly growing AWS business and customers 24/7. Server Engineers maintain the infrastructure, including servers, network devices and other components and parts, ensuring we continue to raise the standards for operational performance in the areas of safety, security, availability, productivity, capacity, efficiency, and cost.
Each day presents itself with unique challenges, which include:
• 24/7 onsite coverage as a Team in shifts and/or oncall
(4 days on, 3 days off - we value work-life balance)
• Break-fix of servers and network devices
• Troubleshooting of network connections
• Responding to high-severity events within SLAs
• Contributing to and/or leading projects
• Coordinating and building relationships with various Data Center teams
• Seeking out ways to improve yourself and the processes and systems with which you work
Starting from your 'Day One', we provide an onboarding process and continuous training and growth opportunities. You will work independently and with your colleagues as you gain an understanding of data centers and be at the forefront of this transformational technology. There will be opportunities to expand within the team and the organization as AWS encourages all Amazonians to exceed the expectations of our customers.
At Amazon, everyone is a leader. You are self-motivated and can adapt in a fast-paced, constantly evolving environment. You have a passion for technology, seek to understand how things work, are a problem solver and may have some Data Center experience. We have guidelines and processes to follow, and the work requires attention to detail and a desire to find answers. Where there are not answers, you see opportunities to find solutions and make improvements. If you enjoy working alongside a close-knit and diverse team of leaders, this is the place to be! We welcome you to work on the most advanced technologies in this dynamic environment with expanding opportunities.
"Work Hard. Have Fun. Make History." This is our motto and we do all 3 every day. We are the Earth's most customer-centric company, and will stop at nothing to meet our customers demands, including continual expansion and building of new Data Centers all around the world. We are always on the lookout for like-minded individuals to take us to the next level. Come build with us!
• BA/BS in technical field or equivalent practical experience
• General knowledge of PC/Server hardware
• Working knowledge of Linux/Windows systems
• Basic networking experience
• English proficiency (verbal and written) at a level that enables daily task work - TOEIC 800+ or equivalent
• General knowledge of troubleshooting server hardware issues
• Experience with problem ticket tracking, prioritization, and escalation procedures
• Understanding of maintenance windows/change management procedures
• Project coordination with local, regional or global stakeholders
• Basic understanding of data center facilities
• English fluency & basic Japanese communication ability
• Linux administration and/or certification - RHCSA/RHCE, LPIC, Linux+
• Networking administration and/or certification - CCENT/CCNA, Network+
• Scripting skills - Bash, Python, Perl, Ruby, etc.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/jp/
Back to top