Data Center Engineering Operations (DCEO) Facility Manager
- Tokyo, Japan
- Our company -
In 2006, Amazon Web Services (AWS) began offering IT infrastructure services to businesses as web services - now commonly known as cloud computing. Today, AWS provides a highly reliable, scalable, low-cost infrastructure platform in the cloud that powers hundreds of thousands of businesses in 245 countries and regions around the world. From rapidly-growing start-ups, to large enterprises, to major government agencies, millions of customers use AWS to reduce costs, increase agility, and accelerate innovation. As our customers grow their businesses, AWS continues to provide infrastructure that meets their global requirements, aiming to be the most customer centric company on earth.
- Our organization -
The Infrastructure Operations Team supports the operation of AWS data centers 24/7 to meet customer demands and business needs. We are committed to maintain the physical infrastructure of AWS in the areas of availability, productivity, efficiency, while ensuring the standards of safety and security.
- Our team -
The Data Center Engineering Operations (DCEO) operation team is seeking a Facility Manager who will be responsible for all operations in a data center facility along with leading a team of facility engineers.
As a member of this gender and culturally diverse team, you will have a chance to work with exciting technology in a dynamic environment with expanding opportunities. Help us grow our customers' businesses today. We're waiting for you to apply!
• Overseeing the facility operations in a data center
• Ensure maintenance/ repairs of site-critical facility infrastructure are planned and executed to the best interest of the business.
• Manage asset and inventory.
• Develop and maintain method statements, standard operating procedures, emergency response procedures, preventive maintenance programs, and all technical documentation. Ensure standardization and consistency with best-in-class operating practices.
• Develop a complete, deep knowledge of the design intent, operational alternatives and contingency plans related to all Data Center systems.
• Develop and deliver the regular engineering reports and ensure adherence to contracted deliverables including SLA's and KPI's.
• Communicate operating philosophies, technical information, objectives and expectations to Amazon personnel and to the vendor critical facilities management teams.
• Provide hands on facility support where required (e.g. installation of new equipment, decommissioning of equipment, replacement of faulty equipment, internal audits...etc.)
• Oversee technical compliance auditing and the effective and timely close out of corrective action plans. Perform annual operational reviews with a focus on compliance with the Amazon standards and all applicable regulatory requirements.
• Manage the development and delivery of the portfolio of Energy/Environmental Management Programs.
• Incident and Emergency Response
• Own all Data Center changes/events/incidents/problems from beginning to end as well as the completion of post-mortems, root cause analysis and follow-up resolution actions.
• Review incident reports, document periodic trend summaries, and provide updates and recommended actions to management.
• Manage and coordinate with vendors to resolve any incidents during emergency situations.
• Project support
• Promote engineering best practice, continuous improvement, and value engineering.
• Provide technical advice, guidance and support to the operations team regarding all engineering related matters.
• Oversee all changes and change processes within the Data Center including the delivery, installation, configuration, maintenance, decommission, and disposal of equipment.
• Leading and developing of team of facility engineers
• Lead and support the career growth of team of facility engineers.
• Prepare for interview, represent the company and conduct technical screening or interview for a candidate. Write up feedback and support to hire the best candidate from the market throughout the process.
• Support, train and lead new employee by example to facilitate the process to acquire the necessary knowledge, skills, and behaviors to become effective team member.
Flexible work arrangements:
• 8 hours of actual work from 9:00-18:00 on normal business days.
• Working hours can be consulted and adjusted depending on the work on the day and week.
• There are on-call duties after normal working hours, rotating by all team members weekly basis.
At Amazon, everyone is a leader.
Amazon has a worldwide belief that consists of 14 items called "Our Leadership Principles". Amazon believes that everyone is a leader regardless of whether you are a manager with a team, and every employee is committed to acting in accordance with this "Our Leadership Principles" in all day-to-day activities.
Data Center Engineering Operations team is seeking engineers with the following leadership strengths in particular:
Leaders are owners. They think long term and don't sacrifice long-term value for short-term results. They act on behalf of the entire company, beyond just their own team. They never say "that's not my job."
Learn and Be Curious
Leaders are never done learning and always seek to improve themselves. They are curious about new possibilities and act to explore them.
Leaders operate at all levels, stay connected to the details, audit frequently, and are skeptical when metrics and anecdote differ. No task is beneath them.
Bias for Action
Speed matters in business. Many decisions and actions are reversible and do not need extensive study. We value calculated risk taking.
The following are basic requirements, but if you don't meet all of them, we welcome people who are adaptive, willing to learn, and want to get involved.
• Bachelor's degree or equivalent in engineering, computer science, or a related field.
• 7 years+ relevant experience operating and managing mission critical facilities
• 5 years+ people management experience including hiring and developing the best, team promotion experience
• English proficiency (verbal and written) at a level that enables to communicate with global team - TOEIC 800+ or equivalent.
• Ability to read and understand all technical documents needed for facility operations
• In depth knowledge of Data Center Facilities such as generators, chillers, cooling towers, air handling units, UPS, electrical sub distribution systems, fire detection and suppression systems, cable reticulation systems
• Ability to respond to all facility related emergency in a timely manner, with sound recovery plans.
• Able to work on-call
• Able to cover shift in case needed
• Experience with operations and maintenance of data centers.
• Japanese proficiency (verbal and written) JLPT N2 or equivalent
• CDCP, CDCS, CDCE, AHRAE, or similar certifications
• Certifications necessary for managing data centers (Type II Chief Electrical Engineer, Qualified Energy Manager, Type 4 Hazardous Materials Engineer, Refrigeration Machinery Manager, 2nd Class Qualified Certified Electrician)
• Project Management certification (PMP, Prince2, ITILv2, BICSI).
• Strong ability to understand electrical systems (supply system of power substations, transformers, switchgears, VFI-class UPS, DRUPS, PDU, ATS, STS, SLA or VRLA battery and related systems, fuel systems related to diesel/gas turbine generators, surge control circuits, active harmonic filters, battery monitoring systems, branch circuit monitoring systems, SCADA systems)
• Strong ability to understand mechanical systems (CRAC/CRAH, AHU, chillers, cooling towers, storage tanks, heat exchangers, plumbing systems, pumps, valves, duct systems, fans, dampers, fire detection and extinguishing systems, drainage systems, building monitoring systems, automatic control systems)
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/jp/
Back to top