At Amazon, we're working to be the most customer-centric company on earth. To get there, we need exceptionally talented, bright, and driven people. If you'd like to help us build the place to find and buy anything online and continue to build and expand The Cloud in Japan, this is your chance to make history.
The Infrastructure Operations organization is looking for an extraordinary individual with proven and tested leadership and management skills as a leader in our facilities operations organization in Tokyo as a Data Center Engineering Operations (DCEO) Cluster Manager.
DCEO Cluster Manager is one of our most senior management roles in Japan. In this role, you will be responsible for leading a large organization, managing Area Managers and/or Facility Managers who own data center facility infrastructure. In other words, DCEO Cluster Manager is ultimately in charge of managing multiple data centers widely spread in a part of large Tokyo metropolitan area.
The pace, scale, and growth of Amazon's data center platform will challenge you. Our uncompromisingly high standards as we continually seek to innovate on behalf of our customers will push you to new levels of creativity. At this level Amazon is unique in that we seek experienced senior leaders who have evolved to be highly strategic in their approach to managing their business unit, yet understand how to lead large teams by example who will not hesitate to roll up their sleeves when tactical needs dictate it.
The ideal candidate for this role will have a strong understanding in data center/mission critical MEP infrastructure. You will be the single point of the contact for all facility related issues from Japan team and work as the technical resource to support Regional Cluster Manager. You will solely be responsible for maintaining 100% service uptime in your Cluster. You have a very high-level view of your organization but you will need to deep dive into details as needed. You will also be interacting with global team on a daily basis by representing Japan Data Center Engineering Operations team.
If you are passionate about the Customer Experience, think and act globally and want to contribute to the operational excellence of Amazon.com data centers. This may be the challenge you've been looking for!
• Hiring, managing, and developing the operations management team including facility managers, area managers, chief engineers, facility technicians and facility trainees.
• Establish performance benchmarks, conduct analyses, and prepare reports on all aspects of the critical facility operations and maintenance
• Responsible for the on-site management of shift technicians, senior shift technicians, sub-contractors and vendors, ensuring that all work performed is in accordance with established practices and procedures.
• Build and maintain sustainable organizational structure.
• Work with business development, real estate, engineering and construction team to forecast staffing and maintain.
• Mentor and develop employees.
• Hiring strategy and participation in recruiting events.
• Operation and maintenance of mechanical, electrical, and controls systems for Amazon datacenters to include preventive maintenance, corrective maintenance, and change management.
• Manage all facility related repairs in a timely manner
• Daily/weekly/monthly/Data Center Engineering Operations meetings and reporting.
• Run weekly availability meeting and report outcomes.
• Liaise with global team on global initiatives as well as process and procedures, implement those initiatives locally in Japan.
• Vendor management of colocation data center services providers to meet or exceed contracted performance SLA's.
• Safety, security, and availability incident response, incident management, incident resolution, and root cause analysis.
• Cost management including OPEX and CAPEX associated with all data centers you are in charge.
• Continuous improvement of operational processes, procedures, methods, and tools.
• Lead and manage energy efficiency initiatives in your Cluster.
• Support capacity planning and management
• Bachelor's degree in engineering, computer science, or a related field.
• 7+ years of experience operating as a manager of managers.
• 10+ years of relevant experience managing mission critical facilities
• Ability to read and understand all technical documents needed for facility operations
• In depth knowledge of Data Center Facilities such as generators, chillers, cooling towers, air handling units, UPS, electrical sub distribution systems, fire detection and suppression systems, cable reticulation systems
• Business level English to communicate with global team
• Ability to respond to all facility related emergency in a timely manner, with sound recovery plans.
• Masters Degree in Engineering, or related fields.
• Fluent in English and Japanese
• Mission Critical facility management experience for a large enterprise or large Colocation provider
• Knowledge in servers, network, and platform
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/jp/