Amazon is building some of the largest distributed systems in the world, and we need technical leaders to build, deploy, support and operate the next generation of compute and storage platforms for our customers. Amazon's network is a key differentiator for Amazon Cloud Computing and Web Services (AWS), enabling the operation of thousands across a highly complex global infrastructure.
Do you have experience managing a centralized team providing 24x7x365 real time monitoring, incident response, communications management and reporting of data center physical infrastructure?
The ideal manager will be responsible for a medium, geographically diverse team of highly qualified network engineers and operations monitoring engineers.
You will also be responsible for organizing our team to proactively monitor data center facility availability and reliability meeting defined service level agreements. The successful candidate will be responsible for the management of entry level and middle level operating engineers to solve for shift coverage, onboarding of new employee and training, and development of team procedures and processes. The manager will also act as an incident management escalation point for the data center team.
This leader will be integral to our operations senior leadership team, collaborating with our engineering and operations teams on new solutions and designs. Our engineers, managers, and leaders are innovators at heart; come join us and become integral to the technology company that is the past, present and future of real Cloud Computing.
This is a representative list of the general duties that may be required of the position and is not intended to be all-inclusive.
• Manage all Support Engineers towards departmental and companywide goals
• Excellent and positive communications skills when working with customers, vendors and employees
• Hire, supervise and develop MVP FOC Support Engineers, including those to accommodate a 24x7x365 schedule
• Oversee day to day Operations Center, escalations, ticketing and communications with customers (internal & external)
• Implement best practices and global standards to support dedicated cloud customers
• Update and maintain documentation associated with processes and procedures
Roles, Responsibilities and Requirements (job description is not meant to be an all-inclusive statement of every duty and responsibility required):
• Monitors the global data center Amazon facilities infrastructure platform
• Serves as a Point of Contact for internal and external teams
• Assists with the development of communication and escalation protocols designed to improve the team's performance
• Contributes to outage post mortem analysis
• Ensures records are updated in a timely manner
• Assists with coordination and communication during emergency recovery efforts
• Assists with the development of tools that will enhance the team's performance
The ability to support a 24X7 environment (This is shift work which may require that you work weekends and holidays).
This position requires that the candidate selected be a US Citizen and possess and maintain an active TS/SCI security clearance with polygraph. In compliance with the U.S. government requirement that employees of its contractors, and employees who work on or in connection with U.S government contracts must receive the COVID-19 vaccine, this position may require that the candidate selected be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. A person is considered fully vaccinated by completing the full regimen of the COVID-19 vaccine (two doses for Pfizer or Moderna and one dose for Johnson & Johnson).
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
• Bachelor's Degree in Electrical, Mechanical, Computer or other type of Engineering; Information Management Systems or have 7+ years of relevant work experience
• 5+ years experience managing a team of at least 10 team members, preferably managing shift based employees
• 2+ years experience working in Data Center environment to include maintaining physical infrastructure equipment (to include UPSs, Generators and etc.)•
• Current, active US Government Security Clearance of TS/SCI with Polygraph
• 10+ years in a data center technology role and 10+ years in a management role
• Past experience with supporting physical data centers including monitoring the power and cooling distribution, data center networking and other data center specific attributes, either as a manager or individual contributor
• Experience developing operational metrics
• Experience contributing to the creation and implementation of high quality, high volume recruiting plans
• Experience representing your team/technical area to senior management
• In-depth knowledge of data centre technology (Cabling, Power, Cooling, Hardware)
• Experience in contributing to the definition and implementation of automation opportunities within a deployment/build environment
• Project management skills; experience in agile management methodologies and/or experience with lean methodologies and Six-Sigma or similar qualification
• Experience in data center deployments or expansion of existing data centers is ideal. Functional knowledge of critical environment mechanical, electrical, and controls systems.
• Able to remain cool, calm, and collected under high pressure situations while effectively managing multiple tasks
• Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, experience drafting and reviewing technical communications
• Knowledge of data centers' power (to include UPSs, Generators and etc.), and HVAC components and the support and monitoring these devices in a Operations Center environment
• Up to 20-40% in country travel may be required
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.