Data Center Chief Engineer
- Gurgaon, India
Amazon is looking for an energetic, detail-oriented individual to join our Data Center Engineering Operations Team. This committed group works to maintain the critical physical infrastructure that supports Amazon Web Services. Specifically, this team works to ensure that the data center's Mechanical, Electrical, and Plumbing systems (MEP) operate at 100% availability while maintaining first-class customer service to the teams and groups within the data centers.
The Data Center Chief Engineer (CE) is responsible for ensuring that all electrical, mechanical, and fire/life safety equipment within the data center is operating at peak efficiency. This involves both planned preventative maintenance of equipment, daily corrective work, and emergency response to emergent issues. The CE serves as an expert technical resource reporting to a site's Data Center Facility Manager and interacting with onsite Engineering Operations Technicians (EOT) and any third party vendors. They are expected to be a singular focal point for all facility operations within a given data center and to support Amazon within its owned and operated data centers. Data center equipment that supports mission-critical servers must maintain better than 99.999% uptime.
Also expected from the CE is the ability to manage small-to-medium large impact projects from conception to completion. These projects can involve large amounts of independent work as well as collaboration with external support groups including engineering, automation, processing, and finance in both local and global settings. The CE will be tasked with creating and delivering on key milestones, obtaining and tracking quotes for all necessary costs, and documenting project results for future implementation at other facilities. The goals of such projects are for the CE to drive innovation and resiliency while reducing operational costs in the facilities.
The CE directs, trains and supports EOT's in their role of providing hands-on electrical and mechanical equipment troubleshooting and operations. Implementation and execution of site/equipment-specific training exercises is also expected. This equipment includes, but is not limited to, stand-by diesel generators, switchgear, UPS's, PDU's, AHU's, chillers, cooling towers, chemical treatment systems, pumps, motors, VFD's, and building automation systems.
• Oversee the day-to-day operations and maintenance of mechanical and electrical equipment in a data center.
• Operate independently with limited direct management
• Act as an escalation point for all facilities-related issues within the data center, escalating to the Data Center Facility Manager as needed
• Perform root cause analysis of equipment failures
• Troubleshoot and report of facility and data sever-level events within internal SLA
• Create and deploy new standard practices for Engineering Operations Technicians, Chief Engineers, and vendor support teams
• Provide training and guidance to Engineering Operations Technicians
• Ensure all safety procedures are adhered to by vendor and Amazon staff
• Ensure all security procedures are adhered to by vendor and Amazon staff
• Utilize internal CMMS to manage building workflows
• Communicate complex technical information to a non-technical audience
• Regularly utilize Microsoft Office suite (Outlook, Excel, PPT, Word) and other computer programs such as PDF, QUIP, and other dashboards and scheduling tooling.
• Instruct others on scheduling, ticketing, and provide mentorship in developing solutions.
• Walk job sites in uneven terrain
• Work at heights and from ladders
• Regularly lift and/or move up to 39 pounds; and participate in group lifts for 40 pounds or more
• Coordinate body movements when using tools or equipment
• Reach and stretch to position equipment and fixtures while maintaining balance
• Bend or twist the body into unusual positions while working
• Perform physical tasks all day without becoming overly tired
• Use hands to manipulate small wires and objects
• Push or pull heavy objects into position
• Work in a noisy environment
• Work at depths, such as under raised floors
This position requires that the candidate selected be a U.S. citizen and must currently possess an active Top Secret security clearance. The position further requires that, after start, the selected candidate obtain and maintain an active TS/SCI security clearance with polygraph and satisfy other security related requirements.
• 4+ years of relevant work experience in a data center or other critical environment or 8+ years of Technical (Military/Trade School) training and/or experience with relevant data center facilities equipment
• Minimum education of High School diploma or equivalent
• Current, active US Government Security Clearance of Top Secret or above
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
• Associates or Bachelors in applicable engineering field or mechanical or electrical trades
• PMP, Lean Six Sigma, or equivalent certifications
• Proficiency with MS Office tools (Word, Excel), and use of computerized/online ticketing systems.
• Operating engineering licenses such as DC II, DC III, or equivalent
• Stationary Engineering or Building Engineering License
• Electrical or mechanical Journeyman License
• CFC license
• NFPA 70E certification
• Proven self-starter
• Proven high attention to detail
• Able to learn new programs, procedures, or systems quickly
• Ability to prioritize in a complex, fast-paced environment
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top