Controls Systems Engineer, Amazon Logistics (m/w/d)
- Seattle, WA
Amazon opened its virtual doors in 1995 and strives to be the world's most customer-centric company, where customers can find and discover anything they might want to buy online. The goal of Amazon Logistics is to build a world class last mile operation. Amazon Logistics aims to exceed the expectations of our customers by ensuring that their orders, no matter how large or small, are delivered as quickly, accurately, and cost effectively as possible.
The European Amazon Logistics team is seeking an experienced, hands-on and customer obsessed Controls Systems Engineer (CSE) to support expansion across our Last Mile delivery network. As a member of the EU Amazon Logistics Engineering team, you will be responsible for supporting technical device controls as part of material handling automation projects. The position will be responsible for design, documentation, testing and implementation of controls solutions for material handling systems, and will be the primary Subject Matter Expert for internal and external resources. The CSE will ensure that safety comes first in all facility design efforts and will support device troubleshooting (including on-call), preventative maintenance and training for Facilities Engineers and Operations partners.
This position requires deep customer focus, the ability to self-direct and exceptional project management skills. You will be a detail-oriented and comfortable leading and supporting large, complex cross-functional Engineering projects. You will have a hands-on approach and be an effective communicator.
This role will be based in Germany and involves frequent domestic travel. You will also partner with EU and WW counterparts to support parallel development projects.
• Execute industrial controls design on new material handling modules. Act as the interface between vendors and internal development teams (process, project, mechanical engineering) to define requirements from a controls perspective
• Partner closely with Last Mile Engineering and Software Tech teams to support MHE systems optimization and project implementation
• Coordinate new technology installations in partnership with Field Engineering, equipment vendors and parts suppliers. Lead commissioning of automated MHE installations
• Coordinate and plan work activities for the Control Systems Software Developers to accomplish goals and objectives of EU Last Mile teams
• Deliver technical system training to partner groups, including Project Engineers and Operations partners
• Use AutoCAD to review, develop and maintain electrical schematics and MHE layouts
• Monitor MHE metrics, produce device performance analysis, and partner with Tech, Engineering and Operations on improvement initiatives
• Communicate technical issues and project timelines with building leadership, operations and vendors; explain productivity impact. Drive severity-based escalation of downtime to vendors and internal software teams to support rapid problem resolution. Act as first-level support for Ops and Engineering teams
• Understand, maintain and troubleshoot material handling control systems, including PLC/PC controllers and industrial networks such as Ethernet, ControlNet, DeviceNet, Profibus, motor control systems, servo drives, frequency drives, and electrical distribution systems
• Perform PLC control level issue diagnosis, and facilitate failure analysis & incident review processes. Implement process improvements to avoid reoccurrences. Be responsible for incident follow-up, root cause analysis and documentation
• Bachelor's degree in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering, Engineering Technology, or other related Engineering
• Control system working experience in a PLC based controls design, development, implementation in a fast-paced industrial, logistics, production/manufacturing environment
• Experience with electrical theory, Robotics, Controls components, automated equipment
• Experience in dealing with material handling, package flow and machine/system capacity
• Experience using AutoCAD to work with control layout design and schematics
• Strong analytical and project management skillsAbility to communicate openly and proactively in a multi-lingual environment.
• Fluent in English and German
• M.Sc. in Electrical Engineering, Engineering Technology, Computer Science, Mechanical Engineering or other related engineering degree
• Advanced industrial engineering, project management and implementation experience
• Knowledge & study of Six Sigma analytical and process improvement techniques
• The ability to train others of lesser technical skillsets
• Knowledge of at least one other European language
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build. We welcome applications from all members of society irrespective of age, sex, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief.
Back to top