Consumer Tech Hiring Event - Dubai, September 2017
Consumer will be hosting a hiring event in Dubai, UAE and will take place the week of September 25th. We will be hiring for our office in Vancouver, BC and the role will require relocation.
Software Development Manager
Amazon's Consumer organization is looking for a passionate, results-oriented inventive Software Development Manager. As the development manager, you'll lead a talented and nimble team of engineers. Responsibilities include direct management of 5+ engineers, process and quality of service improvements, strategic planning, project management for software within the team, and management of resources across teams. Successful candidates will be strong leaders who can prioritize well, communicate clearly, and have a consistent track record of delivery. The business requires creative engineering balanced with high quality and customer focus.
- Responsible for the overall systems development life cycle
- Develop the long-term strategy for your programs and translate that into an achievable road map/action plan
- Management and execution against project plans and delivery commitments
- Manage the day-to-day activities of the engineering team within an Agile/Scrum environment
- of departmental resources, staffing, mentoring, and enhancing and maintaining a best-of-class engineering team
- Work closely with the engineers to architect and develop the best technical design and approach
- Report on status of development, quality, operations, and system performance to management
Professional traits that are not unique to this position, but necessary for Amazon leaders:
- Exhibits excellent judgment
- Hires and develops great people
- Has relentlessly high standards (is never satisfied with the status quo)
- Is able to dive deep and is never out of touch with the details of the business or the technology
- Expects and requires innovation of her/his team
- Has passion and convictions and the innate ability to inspire passion in others
- Strong results orientation
- Thinks big
You have a solid understanding of the design approaches and industry technologies utilized within your team. You understand the overall architecture and foster great working relationships with any teams that share that architecture. You help make trade-offs; balancing the larger picture (e.g., resourcing, business goals, user experience, dependency impacts, efficiency, availability, etc.) against the needs of building, maintaining, refactoring, scaling, and extending features to properly support the life of the technology. You make sure your SDEs are able to spend adequate time on design and you seek their input on technology recommendations. In the absence of a Senior SDE, you are able to review software code (for style, readability, quality, and maintainability). You drive constructive technical discussions and audit appropriately to prevent the consequences of poor technology decisions. You are able to recognize when a proposed design is too complex or risky (and arrange for additional reviews with Senior/Principal Engineers).
Your team has a structure for testing software defects and maintaining software. You ensure compliance with policies (e.g., information security, data handling, PCI, accessibility, service level agreements.) You determine if appropriate metrics to measure the customer experience are in place, and if not work to define them. You allocate development time to setup proper logging, operational metrics, customer intake, alarm mechanisms (e.g., TT/SIM), and runbooks/documentation (e.g., tutorials, help pages, troubleshooting). Your team has a sustainable oncall rotation that honors SLAs without burning out engineers. You prioritize root cause resolution, software enhancements, automated testing, and other projects that improve customer experience and the team work environment. You hold postmortems and document outage impact and lessons-learned in COEs to ensure that problems don't repeat.
Meet Some of Amazon's Employees
Senior UX Designer
Mae integrates human-centered design into tools that enable business partners to operate efficiently and intuitively. She analyzes customer needs and pain points to improve designs.
Back to top