Amazon's Legal Department is looking for a motivated and collaborative Compliance Specialist to be based in Arlington, Virginia to support Amazon Web Services (AWS), a dynamic and rapidly growing business within Amazon.com. AWS is at the forefront of the "cloud" computing and service industry, providing IT infrastructure services such as on-demand compute capacity, storage, content delivery, database services, browsers and more. The successful candidate will support our global compliance efforts related to occupational health & safety ("HS") on the AWS Legal Regulatory Compliance team, which supports data center construction, operations, and compliance with a wide range of regulatory regimes, including trade, products, health & safety, and environment.
You will work closely with legal colleagues and directly with multiple AWS business teams globally, primarily our data center HS professionals as well as the more centralized HS compliance team. You will help us meet our goal to make compliance effective and easy by creating, executing, and managing rules and policies that guide HS compliance. By partnering with business teams to implement compliance plans, you will help identify trends, process improvements, and opportunities to go beyond compliance in support of AWS's global HS program. Principal duties include (i) performing and managing efficient repositories for regulatory due diligence and compliance risk assessments; (ii) researching, analyzing, and synthesizing government legislation, regulations and guidance; (iii) crafting easily digestible rules and guidelines for AWS business teams to reference and use in every day work; (iv) developing training protocols; and (v) assisting the team with analyzing and dispositioning local variance requests from internal global standards.
The successful candidate must:
• Have strong prior work experience in a professional setting, and be enthusiastic;
• Have excellent organizational skills, the ability to manage multiple and varying mission-critical projects at once, and to follow through and meet deadlines;
• Have the ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing;
• Be self-motivated and able to work independently and as a part of a team in a fun but fast-paced environment that is constantly changing; and
• Have sound judgment even in ambiguous situations and be adept at driving consensus.
• BA/BS degree
• 5+ years of experience as a paralegal, regulatory compliance project manager, or similar regulatory compliance work experience, and/or a Juris Doctor (JD) degree and 2+ years of regulatory compliance work experience
• Prior work experience with a law firm, corporate legal or compliance department or government agency
• Prior experience with synthesizing complex regulatory concepts and writing clearly for a broad audience
• Prior experience with project management
• Prior experience developing and implementing compliance processes and policies
• Prior experience with health & safety regulatory issues
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.