Colocation Data Center Project Engineer
- Milan, Italy
As an Amazon Field Engineer, you will provide full life-cycle support to AWS Data Centers from design inception through site improvement and maintenance. You will be the 'go to' engineering resource for your region when technical advice is needed, and will use your subject matter expertise and engage with diverse teams to:
• Perform design and equipment submittal review for new Data Centers in your region.
• Troubleshoot, conduct Root Cause Analysis (RCA) and create Corrective Action (CA) documentation for site/equipment failures.
• Directly support operational issues with ad-hoc training, complex operating procedure reviews, including critical equipment, and event support.
• Own the design for existing data center upgrades and design-solutions, which add capacity, improve availability, and increase efficiency.
• Lead, Review, and approve designs for existing co-location (colo) data center upgrades which improve availability/efficiency.
• Interface with internal data center design engineering team, server hardware team, environmental health and safety team to promote standards that maintain consistency and reliability in services delivered.
• Work on concurrent projects, sometimes in multiple geographical regions.
• Initiate and lead engineering site audits within Amazon's owned or colo data centers. Produce reports outlining risks with recommended mitigations and remediations.
• Act as resident engineer during new construction projects. Support construction, commissioning, and turnover.
Amazon's vision is to be the world's most customer-centric company, and this role is key to that vision. As a Field Engineer, you will be leading projects to fit out our data centers to meet ever-evolving customer needs as we continue expanding our fleet to hyper-scale. As an ideal candidate you:
• Possess Strong Engineering Judgement and are able to provide recommendations despite uncertainty
• Are detail and data oriented
• Have experience managing engineering projects and consultants.
• Build trust and relationships with different stakeholders (e.g., Operations, Commissioning, Construction and Design)
• Be inclined to get into the field to see things up close.
Each day you will interact with different teams responsible for all aspects of the data centers. You will prioritize your activities to support data center capacity availability and safety focusing on the actions that are most impactful. You will have the opportunity to work on projects locally and globally.
We have an immediate opening for a Field Engineer in, the Milan, Italy Region. If you meet these qualifications, exude passion, and enjoy the challenge of innovative projects at hyper-scale, this job is for you!
Please Apply With Your CV / LinkedIn Profile In English
• Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering
• 5+ years of experience with leading MEP designs and/or complex root cause analyses in industrial or commercial in Mission Critical facilities combined with 1+ years of performing due diligence, design gap analysis, and/or operational performance audits of Mission Critical facilities
• 5+ years of continuous operating redundant cooling, electrical systems, water and air distribution systems, air flow containment systems, and building management systems. This includes but is not limited to: uninterruptable power sources, diesel generators, MV and LV electrical switchgear, power distribution units, variable frequency drives, automatic/static transfer switches, chillers [air-cooled and water-cooled], pumps, cooling towers, heat exchangers, air handlers, air economizers, etc.
• Master's Degree in Mechanical Engineering
• 8+ years of direct experience with the design, construction, operation, or maintenance of mission critical data centers
• Licensed Professional Engineer (for US-Based positions)
• Experience with developing solutions and executing plans on fast track design/build projects and/or multiple significant upgrade projects
• Experience with commissioning and/or performance testing of critical infrastructure and the associated controls systems for mission critical environments
• System Matter Expert level of understanding of both mechanical and electrical equipment/design related to data centers
• Good working knowledge of electrical system protection and co-ordination schemes
• Knowledge of building codes and regulations including Life Safety, IBC, NFPA, NEC, ASHRAE, and OSHA
• Possess excellent attention to detail and communication skills in order to maintain high quality standards for being organized, setting priorities, meeting deadlines, and staying within budgets
• Possess leadership and problem solving skills
• LEAN Engineering experience or certifications
• ISO9001 or similar certifications
• Uptime Institute Tier or Operational Sustainability Accredited Specialists Certification
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity Employer Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Back to top