Cloud Support Engineer - Linux
Amazon has built a reputation for excellence with recent examples of being named #1 in customer service, #1 most trusted, and #2 most innovative. Amazon Web Services (AWS) is carrying on that tradition while leading the world in Cloud technologies. As a member of the AWS Support team you will be at the forefront of this transformational technology assisting a global list of companies that are taking advantage of a growing set of services and features to run their mission-critical applications. You will work with leading companies in this space and directly with the engineering teams within Amazon developing these new capabilities.
The AWS Support team is seeking engineers that enjoy solving problems, working with customers, and have technical backgrounds from a variety of different fields including Linux/Windows systems administration, database design and optimization, big data analysis, network administration, and dev ops. Our support engineers are the "voice of the customer" and have a strong voice in to the development teams for recurring issues or feature requests. If you're experienced in Linux system administration and you are more comfortable "getting your hands dirty" than using a search engine for solutions, then we're looking for you!
Why AWS Support?
- Flexible schedule: Salaried role with flexible start time between 7-11am.
- Follow-the-sun model with support sites in 6 locations globally: No after hours on-call or mandated overtime in this role.
- Travel the world: Strong support engineers interested in travel have presented training or participated in focused summits across our sites or at specific AWS events.
- Career development within AWS Support: We promote advancement opportunities including senior support engineer, tier 2.5 / SME, team lead, and technical account manager
- Variety: Support engineers not only work a broad spectrum of technical issues but may also coach/mentor new hires, develop and present training, partner with development teams on complex issues or contact deflection initiatives, participate in recruiting, write tools/script to help the team, or work with leadership on process improvement or strategic initiatives.
- Bachelor's degree in Information Science / Information Technology, Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, or a related field, or equivalent years of experience (4+)
- 7+ Years of experience in these areas: Systems administration in Linux/Unix (Ubuntu, CentOS, RedHat, Solaris, etc.) Networking (DNS, TCP/IP)
- Expertise with IPsec, VPN, Load Balancing, Iperf, MTR, Routing Protocols, SSH, Storage, Network monitoring / troubleshooting tools
- Experience analyzing, troubleshooting, and providing solutions for technical issues
- Some programming / scripting experience (Java, Perl, Ruby, Python)
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong customer focus
- Strong multi-tasking skills
- Self-starter who is excited about technology
- Experience managing full application stacks from the OS up through custom applications
What if I'm not an expert in all the preferred qualifications listed on the job description?
That's okay. That's our preferred list, not a required listed. We hire smart people who can dive deep so we're more interested in the areas that you do know instead of those you haven't been exposed to yet.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer - Female/Minority/Disability/Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation.
Meet Some of Amazon's Employees
Senior UX Designer
Mae integrates human-centered design into tools that enable business partners to operate efficiently and intuitively. She analyzes customer needs and pain points to improve designs.
Back to top