Cloud Support Engineer
- Cape Town, South Africa
Amazon Web Services is a dynamic and rapidly growing business within Amazon.com. Amazon Web Services provides a highly reliable, scalable, low-cost infrastructure platform in the cloud that powers hundreds of thousands of businesses in 190 countries around the world. We provide organizations with building block web services that allow them to innovate faster and operate their software more cost-effectively. These services-in-the-cloud include on-demand compute capacity, storage, content delivery, querying of structured data, message queuing, and more. The AWS team is building and delivering the next generation of cloud computing that supports public AWS offerings like S3, EC2, and CloudFront. We are innovating new ways of building massively scalable distributed systems.
Amazon Web Services is the market leader and technology forerunner in the Cloud business. As a member of the AWS Support team you will be at the forefront of this transformational technology, assisting a global list of companies and developers that are taking advantage of a growing set of services and features to run their mission-critical applications. As a Cloud Support Engineer, you will act as the 'Cloud Ambassador' across all the cloud products, arming our customers with required tools & tactics to get the most out of their Product and Support investment.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
WHAT DOES A CLOUD SUPPORT ENGINEER DO AT AMAZON?
First and foremost this is a customer support role - in The Cloud. On a typical day, a Support Engineer will be primarily responsible for solving customer's cases through a variety of customer contact channels which include telephone, email, and web/live chat. You will apply advanced troubleshooting techniques to provide tailored solutions for our customers and drive customer interactions by thoughtfully working with customers to dive deep into the root cause of an issue.
Apart from working on a broad spectrum of technical issues, an AWS Support Engineer may also coach/mentor new hires, develop & present training, partner with development teams on complex issues or contact deflection initiatives, participate in new hiring, write tools/script to help the team, or work with leadership on process improvement and strategic initiatives to ensure better CX and compliance with global AWS standards, practices and policies.
ROLE & RESPONSIBILITY
• Apply advanced troubleshooting techniques to provide unique solutions to our customers' individual needs
• Interact with leading technologists around the world
• Work directly with Amazon Web Service architects to help reproduce and resolve customer issues
• Leverage your extensive customer support experience to provide feedback to internal AWS teams on how to improve our services
• Drive customer communication during critical events
• Drive projects that improve support-related processes and our customers' technical support experience
• Write tutorials, how-to videos, and other technical articles for the AWS customer community
• Work on critical, highly complex customer problems that may span multiple AWS services
Bachelor's degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, Engineering or a related field or 2 to 4 years of experience in a technical position.
• Experience with Linux or Windows system administration
• Experience with web-based services and applications, Apache, Tomcat etc.
• Detailed knowledge of networking protocols and troubleshooting: DNS, HTTP, SSL, TCP
• Experience operating and troubleshooting email services and SMTP
• Understanding of Software Defined Storage (SDS) and Content Delivery Networks
• Good knowledge of storage protocols: iSCSI, NFS, CIFS, SMB
• Experience troubleshooting file system, block and object storage
• Knowledge of large-scale storage architectures and backup/DR strategies
• Experience troubleshooting file system, block, and object storage
• Understanding of Content Delivery Networks
• Understanding of streaming video (H264, MP4, WEBM, HLS, Smooth Streaming)
• Experience working with REST API based services
• Knowledge of client/server and distributed systems / AWS Cloud architecture patterns
• Experience scripting (i.e. bash, Python, PowerShell etc.) would be an added advantage
• Exposure to various AWS services would be an added advantage
• Strong analysis and troubleshooting skills and experience
• Self-starter who is excited about learning new technologies on a daily basis
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Customer service experience / strong customer focus
• Strong multi-tasking skills
Back to top