Cloud Engineer - Data
- Sydney, Australia
Amazon Web Services is the market leader and technology forerunner in the Cloud business. As a Cloud Engineer you will be at the forefront of this transformational technology, assisting a global list of companies and developers that are taking advantage of a growing set of services and features to run their mission-critical applications. A Cloud Engineer, acts as the 'Ambassador' across all the cloud products, arming our customers with required tools & tactics to get the most out of their investments in AWS.
A Cloud Engineer in the Big Data team supports our customers who use AWS services to leverage large data sets and produce business insights. The Big Data portfolio of services includes Hadoop/Spark (EMR), NoSQL (DynamoDB, MongoDB, Apache Cassandra), Serverless query (Athena), ETL (Glue, Airflow) and services related to Machine Learning/Artificial Intelligence (SageMaker). However, we do not expect you to know all of these and we provide extensive training to successful candidates. At a minimum, you must have the following qualifications/skills to apply:
• Advanced Operating System experience with Linux/Unix
• Understanding networking concepts including how to troubleshooting network connectivity issues (e.g. TCP/IP, DNS, routing, firewalls)
• Ability to read and write basic to intermediate code and scripts(shell). For coding/programming we expect at least one modern Object Oriented or functional language (e.g. Java, Python, Scala or similar). You do not need to have held a prior development job/role
• Understanding of computer system architecture layers from network, hardware and, software aspects. With the ability to troubleshoot issues through to root cause.
• As we operate on a 24x7 follow-the-sun model with other sites located around the world, our engineers in Sydney are not required to work during unsocial hours or be oncall outside of work hours. To provide 7 day a week coverage however, you will be required to work one day on the weekend (engineers typically work Tue-Sat or Sun-Thu).
• Graduate or Postgraduate degree in Information Science / Information Technology, Data Science, Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, OR equivalent industry experience
• Experience in any of the services our team supports or surrounding technologies
• Apache Hadoop, Spark, Hive, Presto, and Distributed computing
• DynamoDB or NoSQL technologies like MongoDB or Cassandra
• ETL and SQL/Databases, particularly with AWS Glue or Apache Airflow
• Machine Learning systems. TensorFlow, MXNet and SageMaker
• Data Lake architecture and administration
• Blockchain technologies like Ethereum and Hyperledger Fabric
• AWS Cloud and core services such as EC2, VPC, S3, IAM
• Experience managing (Systems Administration, DevOps) or Developing full application stacks
• Excellent problem-solving skills and be able to work through ambiguity
• Effective communication skills to lead technical discussions and engage with customers
The role in AWS Support:
In AWS Support (https://aws.amazon.com/premiumsupport/), every day will bring new and exciting challenges on the job. As you interact with leading engineers and customers around the world to build, troubleshoot, secure, and optimise their workloads. You will learn a diverse set of cloud technologies as you hone your advanced troubleshooting techniques. As you work with customers, you will apply what you learn to continuously improve our services and create internal as well as public tutorials and videos that enable others. A successful candidate is not expected to be a cloud expert prior to joining AWS, but securing a role as a Cloud Engineer in AWS Support is a great way to become one!
On a typical day, a Cloud Engineer will be primarily responsible for solving customers' issues through a variety of contact channels which include telephone, email, and web/live chat. You will apply advanced troubleshooting techniques to provide tailored solutions for our customers and drive customer interactions by thoughtfully working to dive deep into the root cause of an issue.
Apart from working on a broad spectrum of technical issues, a Cloud Engineer in AWS may also coach/mentor new hires, develop & present training, partner with development teams on complex issues or contact-deflection initiatives, participate in hiring, write tools and script to help the team, or work with leadership on process improvements and strategic initiatives.
Hear about what some of our Cloud Engineers have to say https://youtu.be/GC3bWcFFZTo and apply to find out more. This role is available based out of both Melbourne and Sydney.
Amazon Web Services is an equal opportunity employer and we deeply value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Back to top