Clinical Laboratory Scientist
- Seattle, WA
Amazon is focused on protecting the health and safety of our employees while continuing to serve people who need our services more than ever. Regular testing on a global scale across all industries would both help keep people safe and help get the economy back up and running. But, for this to work, we as a society would need vastly more testing capacity than is currently available. Unfortunately, today we live in a world of scarcity where COVID-19 testing is heavily rationed. Until we have an effective vaccine available in billions of doses, high-volume testing capacity would be of great help, but getting that done will take collective action by NGOs, companies, and governments.
For our part, Amazon has begun the work of building incremental testing capacity.
• Perform all laboratory testing in a high complexity CLIA-certified laboratory covering all levels of complexity necessary for diagnosis and treatment of patients at the request of attending physician
• Be responsible for reviewing and releasing laboratory testing performed by laboratory technicians and reporting results in a timely and accurate manner
• Oversee testing by medical laboratory technicians and specimen management
• Analyze clinical laboratory specimens following the standard methods and procedures.
• Ensure equipment and instruments remain in good operating condition, recognize any malfunctions and troubleshoot as needed
• Verify, perform, process, and analyze specialized laboratory specimens consistent with laboratory procedural requirements with accuracy and efficiency and report test results
• Perform tests under the direct supervision of the laboratory supervisor
• Perform quality control procedures to ensure accuracy of clinical data (if applicable)
• Maintain updated understanding and knowledge of methods performed in the lab
• Act as go-to person when clinical supervisor is not available
• Train others on specialized instructions for instruments/protocols (super users)
• Identify and escalate equipment malfunctions; troubleshoot common errors
• Recognize, document, and escalate protocol deviations in lab to lead/supervisor
• Participate in the updating of departmental standard operating procedures and database to accurately reflect the current practices.
• Ensure compliance with all regulatory agency requirements through proper documentation
• Maintain equipment and instruments in good operating condition
• Work with PHI on a regular basis both in paper and electronic form and have an access to various technologies to access PHI (paper and electronic) in order to perform the job
• Work a shift in a 24/7 clinic including days, nights, weekends, share holidays, and standby duty
• Adapt to unexpected schedule changes and respond to emergency situations, as needed
• Bachelor's degree in chemical, physical, biological or clinical laboratory science or medical technology or an Associates degree with 15+ years of equivalent professional or military experience.
• 2+ years of experience as a Medical Technologist or equivalent in a clinical laboratory environment
• Knowledge of biology, microbiology and immunology at a level required in medical technology
• Knowledge and practice of standard precautions policies related to handling of potentially infectious agents
• Knowledge of safety procedures relating to operation of laboratory equipment and handling of chemicals
• Experience analyzing and interpreting test procedures and results in order to determine appropriate correction action for abnormal or atypical results
• 5+ previous experience in clinical laboratory setting or acute care facility
• 5+ years of current working experience as a CLS
• American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) certification
• Strong verbal/written communication and listening skills
• Excellent interpersonal and telephone communication skills
Note: This position requires sustained work in a laboratory that will be receiving biological specimens that may include viruses for infectious diseases, including the COVID-19 virus (which is known to cause the coronavirus disease). Accordingly, this role involves the risk of infection. Amazon has implemented appropriate safety policies, training, processes, and equipment as per applicable guidelines.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top