- Viry-Châtillon, France
Amazon is looking for an energetic, detail-oriented individual to join our Data Center Engineering Operations Team in the Greater Paris Area. This committed group works to maintain the critical physical infrastructure that supports Amazon Web Services. Specifically, this team works to ensure that the data center's MEP operates at 100% availability while maintaining first-class customer service to the teams and groups within the data centers.
The Data Center Chief Engineer (CE) is responsible for ensuring that all electrical, mechanical, and fire/life safety equipment within the data center is operating at peak efficiency. This involves both planned preventative maintenance of equipment, daily corrective work, and emergency response to emergent issues. The CE serves as an expert technical resource interacting with onsite Engineering Operations Technicians (EOT) and any third party vendors. They are expected to be a singular focal point for all facility operations and to support Amazon within its owned and operated data centers.
Also expected from the CE is the ability to manage large scale impacting projects and new region support from conception to completion. These projects involve large amounts of independent work as well as collaboration with external support groups including engineering, automation, procurement, and finance in both local and global settings. The CE will be tasked with creating and delivering on key milestones, obtaining and tracking quotes for all necessary costs, and documenting project results for future implementation at other facilities. The goals of such projects are for the CE to drive innovation and resiliency while reducing operational costs in the facilities.
The CE directs, trains and supports EOTs in their role of providing hands-on electrical and mechanical equipment troubleshooting and operations. Implementation and execution of site/equipment-specific training exercises is also expected. This equipment includes, but is not limited to, stand-by diesel generators, switchgear, UPSs, PDUs, AHUs, chillers, cooling towers, chemical treatment systems, pumps, motors, VFDs, and building automation systems.
The role will be based in Greater Paris, however flexibility is required to travel to other locations within the EMEA region if required.
• Oversee the day-to-day operations and maintenance of mechanical and electrical equipment in data centers
• Operate independently with limited direct management
• Assist in the design and build out of new facilities
• Act as an escalation point for all facilities-related issues within the data center region and work OT hours as needed to support site stability
• Perform root cause analysis of equipment failures
• Troubleshoot and report of facility and data sever-level events within internal SLA
• Create and deploy new standard practices for Engineering Operations Technicians, Chief Engineers, and vendor support teams
• Provide training and guidance to Engineering Operations Technicians and assisting in recruiting efforts for the same
• Ensure all safety procedures are adhered to by vendor and Amazon staff
• Utilize internal Change Management Systems to manage building workflows
• MV/LV Isolation to facilitate MV maintenance
• Provide metric availability reporting on a weekly basis
• Communicate complex technical information to a non-technical audience
The successful candidate must be able to demonstrate the following competencies and behaviours:
• Ability to solve problems at their root, stepping back to understand the broader context.
• Aptitude for troubleshooting and problem solving.
• Ability to maintain SLAs through the implementation of proactive issue detection and immediate response.
• Proven experience of reading SLDs and control schematics.
• Ability to follow support procedures, system documentation, and issue tracking entries into a trouble ticket system.
• Shows good judgment and instincts in decision making.
• Ability to prioritize in complex, fast-paced environment.
• Ability to demonstrate their ability to take ownership of technical issues brought to them by their customer base
• Level 7 Bachelor's degree in Electrical / Mechanical Engineering or equivalent depending on where you received your qualification. • Min 5 years relevant industry related experience. • Demonstrate key electrical and mechanical competencies and theory. • Know and apply safe electrical practice according to guidelines set by relevant electrical safety supervisory bodies. • Have a strong working knowledge and experience of the purpose and infrastructure of a Data Center. In-depth knowledge of UPS, backup generator systems and generic mechanical-room infrastructure such as chillers, Cooler Units, and fan controls • Fundamental knowledge of network design and layout (copper / fibre) as well as low / high voltage (copper/ fibre) cabling, BMS Systems, Monitoring and alarming systems • Competent in use of basic IT programs such as MS Word/Excel or similar. Full EU driving license.
• 3+ years of experience in operations and on-call support for Data Center facilities or Mission Critical Plants/Production facilities
• An undergraduate degree in a technical field (EE, MechE, IndustrialE);
• Project Management experience
• Work at heights and from ladders.
• Perform physical tasks
• Work in a noisy environment with ear protection
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build.
Back to top