Business Intelligence Engineer
- Seattle, WA
Amazon's Transportation Risk & Compliance (TRC) team is responsible for keeping our customers and partners safe, and ensuring we maintain WW compliance. To support the business, our primary mission is to perform continuous, independent and objective, risk-based assessments of Amazon business partners' activities and related controls with the goal of improving operations, compliance, risk management and overall success of the program. We build scalable solutions that grow with the Amazon business. TRC collects Terabytes of data from hundreds of data sources inside and outside Amazon. We provide interfaces for our internal customers to access and query the data hundreds of thousands of times per day, using technologies like Amazon Web Service's (AWS) Redshift, Hive, and Spark.
TRC is growing, and the data processing landscape is shifting. Our data is consumed by teams across Amazon including Research Scientists, Machine Learning Specialists, Business Analysts, and Data Engineers. We are seeking an outstanding Business Intelligence Engineer (BIE) to join TRC. Amazon has culture of data-driven decision-making, and demands business intelligence that is timely, accurate, and actionable. If you join the TRC team, your work will have an immediate influence on day-to-day decision making at Amazon.
As an Amazon BIE, you will be working in one of the world's largest cloud-based data lakes. You should be skilled in the architecture of data warehouse solutions for the Enterprise using multiple platforms (EMR, RDBMS, Columnar, Cloud). You should have extensive experience in the design, creation, management, and business use of extremely large datasets. You should have excellent business and communication skills to be able to work with business owners to develop and define key business questions, and to build data sets that answer those questions. Above all you should be passionate about working with huge data sets and someone who loves to bring data sets together to answer business questions and drive change.
As a BIE with TRC, you will design, develop, implement, test, document, and operate large-scale, high-volume, high-performance data structures for analytics and deep learning. Implement data ingestion routines both real time and batch using best practices in data modeling, ETL/ELT processes leveraging AWS technologies and Big data tools. Gather business and functional requirements and translate these requirements into robust, scalable, operable solutions that work well within the overall data architecture. Analyze source data systems and drive best practices in source teams. Participate in the full development life cycle, end-to-end, from design, implementation and testing, to documentation, delivery, support, and maintenance. Produce comprehensive, usable dataset documentation and metadata. You will work closely with the broader HS3C-Compliance data technologies and Transportation data technologies teams to evaluate and make decisions around dataset implementations designed and proposed by peer data engineers and scientists. Evaluate and make decisions around the use of new or existing software products and tools. Mentor junior BIEs.
• Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, or a related field and 4-5+ years industry experience
• At least three years of experience in the following skill(s):
• Developing and operating large-scale data structures for business intelligence analytics using: ETL/ELT processes; OLAP technologies; data modeling; SQL;
• Experience with at least one relational database technology such as Redshift, Oracle, MySQL or MS SQL
• Experience with at least one massively parallel processing data technology such as Redshift, Spark, or Hadoop based big data solutions
• Coding proficiency in at least one modern programming language (Python, Ruby, Java, etc)
• Experience in gathering requirements and formulating business metrics for reporting
• Experience with AWS technologies
• Master's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, or a related field.
• 5+ years of relevant professional experience as a Business Intelligence Engineer, Data Engineer or related.
• Industry experience as a BIE or related specialty (e.g., Data Engineer, Software Engineer, Data Scientist) with a track record of manipulating, processing, and extracting value from large datasets.
• Experience building/operating highly available, distributed systems of data extraction, ingestion, and processing of large data sets
• Experience building data products incrementally and integrating and managing datasets from multiple sources
• Query performance tuning skills using Unix profiling tools and SQL
• Experience leading large-scale data warehousing and analytics projects, including using AWS technologies - Redshift, Redshift Spectrum, Athena, S3, Step Functions, Glue, EC2, Data-pipeline and other big data technologies
• Experience providing technical leadership and mentor other engineers for the best practices on the data engineering space
• Linux/UNIX knowledge, including to process large data sets.
• Expertise with AWS technologies (especially Redshift and Glue preferred)
If you need us to make any adjustments throughout the recruitment process due to a disability (including, but not limited to neurodiverse or mental health conditions), or any other health issue please let us know by contacting email@example.com.
Back to top