Business Intelligence Engineer
- Arlington, VA
Do you love working with different data types from free text to telemetry, uncovering unknown insights about customers? The Customer Experience Strategy team is looking for an experienced Business Intelligence Engineer to help set up and scale new analytics sources and methods. As part of a new initiative on an established team, you will have the freedom to innovate and create lasting impact on customer experience. Our team provides a service that inspects, measures, and drives improvements for Amazon's technical products, and presents recommendations to senior leaders in order to influence and drive changes that ultimately better serve our customers. We cover technical products across a variety of areas including cloud computing (e.g., serverless, elastic compute, and containers), machine learning / artificial intelligence (e.g., vision, natural language processing and understanding), big data, and Alexa's developer experience.
Our team is seeking a self-driven BIE with broad technical and data management skills who will identify and onboard new data sources, conduct analytics using SQL and Python, and build lightweight tools and methods for others to replicate and scale their work. You should have expertise in the design, creation, management, and business use of large datasets. Your solutions are testable, maintainable, and mindful of resource usage. You should be able to apply statistical methods (e.g. regression) to difficult business problems and understand these methods' assumptions and limitations. You will need excellent business and communication skills to work with product managers and business owners on ambiguous problems in a fast paced environment to develop and define key business questions and requirements.
• Develop methods and metrics that provide insights to product teams and business owners
• Recognize and adopt best practices in reporting/analysis: data integrity, test design, analysis, validation, and documentation
• Write quality code to retrieve and analyze data
• Develop pragmatic analyses and choose applicable solutions that add value to the business area
• Understand data resources and know how, when, and which to use (and which not to use)
• Use advanced analytical techniques to solve business problems
• Continue to move forward in the face of ambiguity and imperfect data. Find a solution around the problem that still maintains a high analytical bar. You do not suffer from "analysis paralysis".
• Ensure that decisions are based on the merit of their unbiased analytical results, not the proposer. Stay "true to the data".
• Communicate analysis results and techniques, both verbally and in writing, clearly and confidently to peers and business partners.
• Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Math, Finance, Statistics or a related discipline
• 3+ years hands-on analytics work experience, with proven quantitative orientation.
• 2+ years experience with SQL, ETL, Data Warehouse solutions and databases
• Experience with statistical analytics and programming languages such as Python, R, etc
• Master's degree or higher in Statistics, Data Science, or an equivalent quantitative field
• 5+ years of industry experience working as a BIE or related specialty
• Background designing successful analytics solutions from start to finish
• Experience communicating results and business impact of analytical deep dives to senior leadership
• Knowledge of or background with public cloud services
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top