Business Intelligence Engineer AWS Cloud Compute
- Seattle, WA
Amazon is looking for a highly respected Business Intelligence Engineer to join the AWS Product BI team. This is your opportunity to be a core part of the team that has direct impact on the day-to-day decision making in the many AWS Product teams like EC2, S3 and IoT.
Since early 2006, AWS has provided companies of all sizes with an infrastructure platform in the cloud. AWS is a high-growth, fast-moving division within Amazon with a start-up mentality where new and diverse challenges arise every day. On the AWS Product BI team you will be surrounded by people that are exceptionally talented, bright, and driven, and believe that world class BI is critical to our success. To help build this growing team, you must be highly analytical and possess a strong passion for analytics and accountability, set high standards with a focus on superior business success. We take working hard, having fun, and making history seriously. AWS sets the standard for functionality, cost, and performance for many cloud based services, but it's still early days for cloud computing, and there are boundless opportunities to continue to redefine the world of cloud computing - come help us make history!
As a BI engineer on this team, you will be responsible for generating new insights to help guide the strategic direction of our products and businesses. You will get the exciting opportunity to work on very large data sets in one of the world's largest and most complex data warehouse environments. You will work closely with the business and technical teams in analysis on many non-standard and unique business problems and use creative-problem solving to deliver actionable output. Our team is serious about great design and redefining best practices with a cloud-based approach to scalability and automation. A successful candidate will be a self-starter, comfortable with ambiguity, with strong attention to detail, an ability to work in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment, and an ability to work effectively with cross-functional teams.
Key responsibilities include
- Work with business customers in understanding the business requirements and implementing solutions to support analytical and reporting needs.
- Design and implement reporting solutions enabling stakeholders to manage the business and make effective decisions.
- Conduct ad hoc data analysis and data quality investigations.
- Implement training and documentation solutions that enable business stakeholders to get the most out of our self-serve reporting tools.
- Develop and support the analytical technologies that give our customers timely, flexible and structured access to their data.
- Design and implement an analytical environment using third-party and in-house reporting tools, modeling metadata, building reports and dashboards.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
This position involves on-call responsibilities, typically for one week every two months. We don't like getting paged in the middle of the night or on the weekend, so we work to ensure that our systems are fault tolerant. When we do get paged, we work together to resolve the root cause so that we don't get paged for the same issue twice.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or a related technical field, and solid years of relevant experience.
- 5+ years of experience with and detailed knowledge of data warehouse technical architectures, infrastructure components, ETL/ ELT and reporting/analytic tools and environments, data structures.
- 5+ years of experience with relational and star schema data modelling concepts with a solid knowledge of SQL and PL/SQL.
- 2+ years of large IT project delivery for BI oriented projects.
- 2+ years of working with very large data warehousing environment
- Experience in designing and delivering cross functional custom reporting solutions.
- Experience with Massively Parallel Processing (MPP) databases - Redshift (preferred), Teradata
- Experience with an enterprise class BI tool like MicroStrategy(preferred), Business Objects
- Experience with reporting tools - Tableau (preferred), OBIEE
- Excellent oral and written communication skills including the ability to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Proven ability to meet tight deadlines, multi-task, and prioritize workload
- A work ethic based on a strong desire to exceed expectations.
- Strong analytical skills
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top