Business Intelligence Engineer, Alexa Education
- Seattle, WA
Alexa focuses on bringing delightful, voice-activated experiences to Amazon customers. As part of the Alexa Education team, you have the opportunity for grass-root innovation to work on a product that can fundamentally improve customer's lives in incredibly powerful ways across a multitude of devices. And, as part of a new domain, you also have the opportunity to shape how customers use voice in their everyday lives. Imagine, Alexa able to help parents and students to stay connected to their school by simply asking, "Alexa, what homework do I have due this week?", "Alexa, what did Hannah do in school today?", or "Alexa, what was Jack's score on his math exam?"
The Alexa Education team is looking for a business intelligence engineer (BIE) to help determine our roadmap and be the voice of the customer. Data-driven decision-making is at the core of Amazon's culture, and people who are exceptionally talented at analyzing large sets of data to build insights are critical. Your work will directly impact the decisions and strategy of Alexa Education by gathering customer needs and insights, mining large and diverse data sets from across Alexa to understand our customer behavior and usage of our features.
This role is inherently cross-functional - you will work closely product management, engineering, UX design, and domain and BI leadership across Alexa. You should be comfortable working in a dynamic, start-up environment, and seek data-driven decision-making. Above all, you are passionate about the education team's charter, the Alexa product, and providing the best experience for customers.
A successful candidate will be a self-starter, comfortable with ambiguity, able to think big and be creative (while still paying careful attention to detail). He/she should be skilled in database design, be comfortable dealing with large and complex data sets, and have experience building self-service dashboards and using visualization tools. He/she should have strong analytical and communication skills and be able to work with product managers and business development teams to define key business questions and build data sets and models that answer them. He/she should be innovative and entrepreneurial, with a collective desire to build a business from the ground up in a new market segment.
Key responsibilities include the following:
• Design, build, and maintain automated reporting, dashboards, and analyses to enable our team to self-service 80% of data needs, allowing you to focus on answering hard and ambiguous problems.
• Identify, develop, manage, and execute analyses to uncover areas of opportunity and present written business recommendations that will shape the future of Alexa Education.
• Report key insight trends, using statistical rigor to simplify and inform the larger team of noteworthy story lines that impact the business.
• Collaborate with product, technical, business, marketing, finance, and UX leaders to gather data and metrics requirements.
• Retrieve and analyze data using a broad set of Amazon's data technologies and resources, knowing how, when, and which to use.
• Write high-quality SQL queries to retrieve and analyze data from database tables (ex. Redshift, MySQL, Oracle).
• Manage and execute entire projects from start to finish including project management, data gathering and manipulation, synthesis and modeling, problem solving, and communication of insights and recommendations.
• Scope, build and own technical data warehouse processes to help the business scale.
• Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Statistics, Computer Science, Mathematics, or a related quantitative field
• 3+ years analyzing and interpreting data
• Experience with data mining and processing using SQL
• Experience building measures and metrics, and developing reporting solutions
• Experience with BI data visualization and delivery tools such as Power BI, Tableau, Qlik, Quicksight, etc.
• Master's degree or higher in Statistics, Data Science, or an equivalent quantitative field
• 5+ years of experience working as a BIE in a business environment
• Experience using R, Python, etc.
• Understanding of data warehousing and data modeling
• Experience with AWS services including S3, Redshift, EMR and RDS
• Experience communicating results and business impact of analytical deep dives to senior leadership
• Experience working as a BIE in a technology company
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
Amazon.com is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer - Minority / Women/ Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation
Back to top