Business Intelligence Engineer
Amazon's Performance Engineering Team is looking for strong software developers to design and build systems to support our performance program and drive continuous technology improvement across the company. Your job will be to take Amazon's massive infrastructure, make it run as lean and efficiently as possible, all while enabling the company to stay on the bleeding edge of growth and innovation. You will be focused on defining and building new infrastructure, proposing and evaluating new standards and techniques to improve existing systems, while providing access, knowledge and best practices to all development teams. Your work will influence the operation of hundreds of teams and thousands of services.
As a Data Scientist in Performance Engineering, you will hold a highly visible analytical role that requires interaction and partnership with leaders across Amazon's retail businesses. You will be responsible for modeling complex problems and discovering insights through the use of statistical, machine learning, algorithmic, data mining, and visualization techniques. You will be a key point of contact for analyzing and explaining the performance and efficiency metrics to Amazon's service owners, building leaders' trust in our systems and identifying where better decisions can serve our customers better. You will work on aspects of performance and efficiency management with an initial focus on infrastructure spending, identifying business drivers for service fleets and identifying services that are impacting the performance or availability of Amazon's internal and external services.
A successful candidate will be a person who enjoys diving deep into data analysis, discovering root causes, and designing long-term solutions. You will help customize business policies and processes while developing new metrics and functionality. Additionally, the candidate should be an effective communicator capable of independently driving issues to resolution and communicating insights to non-technical audiences. This is a highly impactful and autonomous role with goals that directly impact the bottom line of the business.
In this role, you will:
- Design and develop metrics, reports, analyses, and dashboards to drive key business and product decisions. improve performance and reduce costs
- Collaborate with software engineers to implement the data architecture and design
- Combine knowledge of statistical methodology and analysis with programming skills to support complex analyses
The right candidate:
- Has a strong track record of working with large and complex data sets, and translating data into insights to drive key business and product decisions
- Has a solid understanding of efficient and scalable data processing and an ability to use the data in financial and statistical modeling
- Strong problem solving skills, and an ability to apply them in a fast-paced business environment
- Experience working in cross-functional teams and communicating with business and technical customers to drive requirements analysis
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- BA/BS degree in analytical area such as Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Economics, or related discipline
- 3+ years of relevant experience with data mining, SQL, building reporting, and statistical modeling
- Experience writing scripts (Perl and/or Python) to manipulate data
- Strong knowledge of Excel
- Master's or higher degree in analytical area such as Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Economics, or related discipline
- Experience developing software in traditional programming languages (C++, Java, Ruby)
- Experience with R or other statistical software packages
- Experience with financial data
- Experience with computing infrastructure metrics
- Experience working with AWS products
Meet Some of Amazon's Employees
Senior UX Designer
Mae integrates human-centered design into tools that enable business partners to operate efficiently and intuitively. She analyzes customer needs and pain points to improve designs.
Back to top