Business Intelligence Engineer
- Cambridge, United Kingdom
Are you passionate about leveraging technology and data at scale to innovate, drive better decision making and streamline processes? Amazon seeks an experienced Business Intelligence Engineer (BIE) to join the innovative division of our new COVID-19 testing and Amazon's global clinical laboratories. We are looking to help protect the health and safety of our workforce and people in their communities. Regular testing on a global scale across all industries would both help keep people safe and help get the economy back up and running. But, for this to work, we as a society need vastly more testing capacity than is currently available and getting that done will take collective action by NGOs, companies, and governments. For our part, Amazon has begun the work of building incremental testing capacity.
This is an exciting opportunity to be a part of a new high-impact space at Amazon. If you are passionate about innovating, building, and scaling high impact business models, this is for you. The successful candidate will work closely with business teams to build a robust BI infrastructure, generate insights, scale data driven operations, systems and decision making, and ad-hoc leadership support in this evolving space.
The Business Intelligence Engineer will be a role model for high standards, customer obsession, timely delivery of results and business insights partnering with cross-functional teams. As a BIE you will be working on various business problems in complex data environments. You will dive deep into big datasets with an expectation to produce the best analytics and metrics to solve problems. We are looking for a candidate with solid analytical skills, the ability to work independently, manage competing priorities in a fast-paced environment, a strong bias for action, superb customer focus, and the ability to communicate with and influence business groups.
• Design, implement, and support global systems that can provide ad-hoc access to large datasets
• Model data and metadata to support ad-hoc and pre-built reporting systems
• Own the design, development, and maintenance of ongoing metrics, reports, analyses, dashboards, etc. to drive key business decisions
• Exercise robust governance, security and controls on data processes
• Recognize and adopt best practices in reporting and analysis: data integrity, test design, analysis, validation, and documentation
• Learning and understanding a broad range of Amazon's data resources and know how, when, and which to use
• Drive reporting improvement and automation and create new innovative and insightful reports in a timely manner
• Extracting data using Oracle SQL, Amazon Redshift, and other technologies. Analyzing data using suitable tools (e.g., Excel, Tableau, Power BI, R, Python)
• Respond with urgency to high priority external and internal requests
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Economics, Statistics, Mathematics or a quantitative and analytical discipline
• Advanced SQL and experience in optimizing SQL queries
• Experience with data visualization using Tableau, Quicksight, or similar tools
• Advanced knowledge of Excel & VBA
• Ability to collaborate with various stakeholders to understand business drivers, goals, and actionable outcomes using analytics
• Technical skills such as coding / statistics (python, R, Django, Spark etc.), data visualization, research
• Master's Degree in Mathematics, Operations Research, Statistics, Economics, or related field
• Operating business experience
• Proven ability to deeply understand business processes and transform those through data
• Demonstrated strong operating discipline, bias for continuous improvement and innovation. Ruthless attention to detail, passion for processes, systems, and data mining
• Experience in data engineering and automation to build metrics decks, dashboards and BI solutions
• Strong bias for action, highly organized, and ability to complete a high volume of projects with little to no guidance within tight deadlines
• Confidence in dealing with technical and non-technical senior level staff. Team player with the ability to work with a wide cross-section of people in various locations
• Experience working with cloud data repository services such as AWS redshift
• Experience in data mining (SQL, ETL, data warehouse, etc.) and using databases in a business environment with large-scale, complex datasets
• 3+ years prior experience in a BI role with a technology, supply chain or financial firm
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top