Business Intelligence Engineer
- Pullman, WA
At Amazon, we are working to be the most customer-centric company on earth and carry products that our customers want and enjoy, while ensuring that customers are safe and get safe products from Amazon. To get there, we need exceptionally talented, bright, dynamic and dedicated people. We are looking for a passionate Business Intelligence Engineer to join our team in Seattle, WA and to lead the team responsible for building and maintaining end to end analytics solutions that drive business decisions. This role will report into the PARS (Product Assurance, Risk and Security) Business Intelligence team. This team owns analytics solutions that span all of Amazon's consumer and retail business such as Amazon.com, Amazon Private Brands, Whole Foods Market, Physical Stores, Amazon Fresh/Prime Now, Amazon's third party fulfillment business, etc. You will gain the opportunity to interact and work with emerging businesses at Amazon from inception through growth phases. You will also gain strategic insight on evolving mature businesses. This team and role will provide a great opportunity to build your career at Amazon as a BI leader.
The ideal candidate will have a track record of navigating successfully through ambiguity, gathering business requirements and creating BI and analytics solutions that have measurable customer impact, and demonstrating exemplary written and verbal communication skills. The candidate will have to set the right vision, strategy and roadmap and work alongside with stakeholders in the organization to make it happen. The candidate knows and loves working with business intelligence tools, can model multidimensional datasets, and can partner effectively with business leaders to answer key business questions. S/he will need to be a self-starter, comfortable with ambiguity in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment, and be able to lead a team to innovate and think big, while diving deep to meet our bar for quality and accuracy.
• Engage with leadership and diversified customer groups to understand the needs and recommend business intelligence solutions.
• Define the data elements and data structure to enable analytical capabilities.
• Design, implement, and support platforms that provide business teams ad-hoc access to large datasets (eg data visualization tools for non-tech business users)
• Interface with business customers, gathering requirements and delivering complete reporting solutions.
• Own the design, development, and maintenance of ongoing metrics, reports, analyses, dashboards, etc. to drive key business decisions.
• Participate in strategic & tactical planning discussions.
• Standardize data and report consumption across all customer groups.
• Make recommendations for new metrics, techniques, and strategies to improve the operational and quality metrics.
• Be connected and influential within the Amazon BI community. Work with Data engineering, Software development teams to enable the appropriate capture and storage of key data points.
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or a related technical field, and solid years of relevant experience
• 5+ years of experience with and detailed knowledge of data warehouse technical architectures, data modeling, infrastructure components, ETL/ ELT and reporting/analytic tools and environments, data structures and hands-on SQL coding
• 3+ years of demonstrated quantitative and qualitative data science/business intelligence experience with significant business impact
• 3+ years of large IT project delivery for BI oriented projects.
• 3+ years of working with very large data warehousing environment
• A strong grasp of SQL and at least one scripting or programming language
• Experience in designing and delivering cross functional custom reporting solutions
• Experience with Massively Parallel Processing (MPP) databases - Redshift (preferred), Teradata
• Experience with R, Python, Weka, SAS, Matlab or other statistical/machine learning software.
• Experience with an enterprise class BI tool like MicroStrategy, Business Objects
• Experience with reporting tools - Tableau , Quicksight
• Excellent oral and written communication skills including the ability to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical stakeholders
• Strong analytical skills
• A work ethic based on a strong desire to exceed expectations
• Proven ability to meet tight deadlines, multi-task, and prioritize workload
• Ability to work on a diverse team or with a diverse range of coworkers
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer - Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation
Back to top