AWS S3 Software Development Engineer
- Seattle, WA
Managing trillions of objects in storage, retrieving them in sub-x ms, building software that deploys to tens of thousands of hosts, achieving 99.999999999% (you didn't read that wrong, that's 11 nines!) durability. These are just a few of the numbers that give you a sense of the scale of the exciting problems you will find every day working in Simple Storage Service (S3). Amazon S3 powers businesses across the globe that make the lives of consumers better daily. Whether its electronic content delivered to your home, technology that betters your remote working experience, allows you to plan travel to exotic places or simply get stuff delivered to your home. As a Sr. Software Engineer in S3, you get to deliver these capabilities and delight our customers through teams of talented engineers and leaders.
We are currently looking for talented software development engineers to join our Amazon S3 storage control plane team. Our team is responsible for ensuring integrity of customer data. We develop highly scalable systems that continuously monitor all data stored in S3 and ensure their consistency, protecting our durability commitment against known hardware failures as well as hypothetical risks. Evolving and executing sophisticated risk prediction and detection models, applying machine learning at an incredible scale is what we do best.
Our team works together to provide work/life balance for all team members. We recognize that the circumstances of our team members vary, and we balance work across the team so that we're all able to maintain high standards on behalf of our customers, while at the same time allowing for rich and happy personal lives.
In AWS, if you build it, you own it. S3 is a highly available 7x24 worldwide service requiring dedicated support from our engineering teams. We pride ourselves on a high level of ownership in the work we do. This means we hold a high bar for test automation, verification processes, design and code reviews to ensure that our systems meet the exacting standards our customers demand. We maintain a regular on-call rotation across our teams with engineers and managers all taking part to resolve the inevitable issues that arise. We work hard to minimize getting paged in the middle of the night as we recognize that a well-rested employee is a productive employee.
Upon joining S3, every employee is paired with a peer buddy who will help you to quickly come up to speed in understanding the technology we're building, the tools we use and the business problems we're trying to solve. We hire exceptional people and we recognize the importance of coaching others. We have a formal mentor search application that lets you find a mentor that works best for you based on location, job family, and job level. On our internal "Broadcast" video streaming website, you'll find countless presentations by some of the brightest minds in computing discussing solutions to many of the exciting problems we're solving in AWS today with new live-streaming videos added every week.
We have a diverse team and drive towards an inclusive culture and work environment. Our team is intentional about attracting, developing, and retaining amazing talent from diverse backgrounds. Our team members are active in Amazon's 10+ affinity groups, sometimes known as employee resource groups, which bring employees together across businesses and locations around the world. These range from groups such as the Black Employee Network (BEN), Amazon Women in Engineering (AWE) and Glamazon (our LGBTQ+ community).
• Lead the architectural design, implementation, deployment and maintenance of innovative software solutions to launch new storage platforms.
• Use software engineering best practices to ensure the standard of quality of all team services
• Write high quality distributed system software
• Apply machine learning models to improve system performance
• Work in an agile development environment, where you are always working on the most important stuff.
• Mentor junior software development engineers.
• 4+ years of professional software development experience
• 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
• 8+ years of professional software development experience
• Experience with Amazon EC2, S3, or similar elastic computing and storage facilities
• Experience building high scale distributed systems
• Experiencing building and maintaining mission-critical enterprise software
• Experience and/or knowledge of machine learning algorithms
• Practical experience with software engineering best practices
• PhD Computer Science/Engineering
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us .
Back to top