AWS Linux Cloud Support Engineer Intern
Have you ever thought about helping U.S. Intelligence Community agencies implement innovative cloud computing solutions and solve technical problems? Would you like to do this using the latest cloud computing technologies?
The Amazon Web Services team is innovating new ways of building massively scalable distributed systems and delivering the next generation of cloud computing that supports public AWS offerings like S3, EC2, and CloudFront.
In 2013, AWS launched 280 services, but in 2016 alone we released nearly 1000. We hold high standards for our computer systems and the services we deliver to our customers: our systems are highly secure, highly reliable, highly available, all while functioning at massive scale; our employees are wicked smart, passionate about the cloud, driven to serve customers, and fun to work with.
On a "typical" day, support engineers might Dive Deep to root cause a customer issue, investigate why a metric is trending the wrong way, consult with the top engineers at Amazon, or discuss radical new approaches to automate operational issues. You'll become a master at AWS Services platform diagnosis, response, measurement, and automation. You will design and build the operational scalability that sustains the platform's remarkable growth. You will measure your success and it will be visible.
We're looking for technology leaders for the largest storage service on the internet. This position is perfect for you if you're interested in creating tools and automation so that engineers can be as hands-off as possible. We want our service to be as autonomous as possible, and that can only be done by having bright individuals who understand how to Think Big, simplify solutions to complex unprecedented problems, all in pursuit of the best customer experience possible. Our environment is built for engineers who flourish in creating automation to reduce the operational workload rather than simply performing operational work all day.
You should be an engineer who is focused on developing internal services written in Python, Java, C or a similar language. You also have an appropriate understanding of Linux, networking and cloud services.
Successful candidates will join an elite engineering team, provide troubleshooting and operations support, and innovate to replace operational tasks with scripts and code.
We have opportunities in both Herndon, Virginia and Seattle, Washington.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Linux, hand on and related debugging
- Bachelor degree or 2 years support engineering or system admin experience on Linux or Unix systems
- Demonstrated proficiency with scripting languages such as Bash, Python, C, C++, Java or Ruby
- Deep understanding of scalable computing systems
- Good working knowledge/experience on highly distributed virtual environment, networking, s/w build and deployment process
- Bachelor's degree in Information Science / Information Technology, Computer Science, * Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, or a related field
This position requires that applicant selected be a U.S. citizen and obtain and maintain a TS/SCI US Government clearance with polygraph.
- TS/SCI eligibility is not required to start; however, the applicant selected will be subject to a Single-Scope Background Investigation (SSBI) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified national security information.
- Applicants with a current SSBI, SBPR, or PPR, may be eligible for crossover in accordance with ICPG 704.4.
- Masters or PhD in Information Science / Information Technology, Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, or a related field
- Strong ownership, urgency, and drive to launch services
- Experience with a modern programming language such as C, C++, or Java
- Experience operating large scale systems
- A solid grasp of networking fundamentals, preferably including hands-on experience with load balancers, switches, routers, etc.
- Familiar with the challenges surrounding efficient operations and failure mode analysis in large complex distributed systems
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.
Meet Some of Amazon's Employees
Senior UX Designer
Mae integrates human-centered design into tools that enable business partners to operate efficiently and intuitively. She analyzes customer needs and pain points to improve designs.
Back to top