AWS is building a new distributed query accelerator that provides the foundation for a next wave of performance improvement and innovation in cloud-based analytics. AQUA, Advanced Query Accelerator, was designed from the ground up to minimize unnecessary data movement by using large, high-speed caches, custom hardware, and by pushing reduction and aggregation computation closer to rapidly expanding analytics data. AQUA uses hardware acceleration to efficiently filter and aggregate data and minimize data transmission over the network by sending only the results. This new capability enables AWS Redshift to run up to 10x faster than any other cloud data warehouse. As data warehouses continue to grow over the next few years, the network bandwidth needed to move all this data becomes a bottleneck on query performance. AQUA takes a novel approach to cloud data warehousing, AQUA brings the compute to storage by doing a substantial share of data processing in-place on an innovative new query accelerator. In addition, it uses AWS-designed processors and a scale-out architecture to accelerate data processing beyond anything traditional CPUs can do.
We are looking for contributors in areas of storage, hardware-software abstraction and co-design, query processing, data and control plane development for multi-tenant, distributed systems, hardware design verification and database performance engineering to help us build this new technology and integrate into analytics platforms.
To explore more about Amazon AQUA, visit https://www.zdnet.com/article/amazon-redshift-turns-aqua .
We are looking for software engineers who have experience with AWS Cloud technologies or similar Cloud technologies, Java/Kotlin/C++ programming languages, a good understanding of modern data structures and algorithms and has experience with distributed systems or high performance computing with a desire to apply those skill sets to core AQUA query accelerator engine.
In this role, you will have responsibility for:
• Design, development, testing and deployment of AWS cloud services Routing, Load balancing, Lambda, VPC, Containers, and Fleet monitoring and management
• Translating functional and technical requirements into detailed architecture and design.
• Participating in code and design reviews to maintain our high development standards.
• Working with other teams to deliver and operate large scale, distributed services in the cloud
• Developing system architecture with scalability, reliability, availability and performance
Further, we are looking for engineers with customer success focus and the ability to convert their experiences into visionary ground-breaking product enhancements. Finally, the engineer should have the desire to have an industry wide impact and ability to work within a fast moving, startup environment in a large company to rapidly deliver services that have a broad business impact.
Amazon Web Services (AWS) is the world leader in providing a highly reliable, scalable, low-cost infrastructure platform in the cloud that powers hundreds of thousands of businesses in 190 countries around the world!
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
NOTE: We do have openings in East Palo Alto(San Francisco Bay Area) and Arlington, VA. Please discuss with recruiter for location choices and possibilities.
• 4+ years of professional software development experience
• 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
• Strong knowledge of data structures and algorithms
• 6+ years experience writing large scale distributed systems in C++
• Experience in building large scale distributed service using cloud API
• Experience with cloud load balancers, routing services, Docker containers and cloud programing languages.
• Experience with full-stack development
• Experience with AWS services such as RDS, EC2, Dynamo DB, CloudWatch
• Strong understanding of system performance and scaling
• Ability to drive tasks to completion and take ownership of projects
• Ability to work in a fast paced and agile development environment
• Possess excellent communication, sharp abilities, and proven design skills
• Contributor to open source distributed systems, and analytics projects
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities
who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.