- Burlington, KY
Amazon's Leave of Disability & Leave Services (DLS) team in the HR Services organization is hiring for its service delivery organization to deliver best-in-class sign language accommodation services to Amazon employees across the U.S.
The ASL Interpreter Specialist is a key member of our accommodation team, providing ASL interpreting services to Amazon applicants, candidates and/or employees who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing. The interpreter assignments may include in-person services for group meetings or events, as well as meetings with individual employees. Interpreter services may also be delivered via video conference. An Interpreter can be assigned to work primarily with a single employee for all or part of their work days, permanently or temporarily. The Interpreter is a subject matter expert in ASL interpretation services, with the ability to offer consultation and collaborate across teams to solve complex problems in ASL language accommodations. Successful interpreters are highly skilled, adept in responding to changing circumstances and needs of a dynamic culture, and paves the way for a connected and trusted accommodation experience. The Interpreter will be called upon to provide general dialogic interpretation, including conversations of a sensitive nature, such as performance management or review. In addition, stage events, highly technical meetings and recorded announcements are common. Interpretation in this role may also involve periods of standing, and walking in a fast paced environment with possible varied noise levels.
• Demonstrate high quality interpretation skills between English and American Sign Language
. Communicate well in both verbal and written English
• Provide interpreting services for Deaf, Hard of Hearing and hearing stakeholders in a variety of settings and roles
• Provide effective communication in a video environment and/or on-site services environment
• Multi-task between interpreting effectively while using video-based technology
• Arrive to shifts and assignments on time and prepared for work. Flexible in work hours to support meetings sometimes outside of traditional business hours
• Provide stellar customer service to both internal and external customers.
• Collaborate in a professional manner with multiple teams
• Work effectively with minimal supervision
• Address and respond to sensitive situations
• Troubleshoot issues and seek to remove barriers before, during, or after an interpreting event
• Respond to employee impacting issues that may arise during the interpreting event and ensure the right communication occurs
• Maintain a working knowledge and increased understanding of the subject matter to enable effective interpretation for all required disciplines
• Demonstrate knowledge and awareness of Amazon's culture and customs
• Ensure compliance with standard work, federal/state regulations, and company policy
• Maintain system records to ensure accurate and timely documentation of interpreting assignments
• Consult, coordinate and partner with our third party administrator, HR, Safety, Legal, Payroll, Benefits, team members and other departments/systems as appropriate
• Perform outreach and training for ASL language access across geographic areas
• Work collaboratively and professionally with other interpreters during assignments
• Travels to various domestic and international locations to support meetings
• Flexibility in scheduling that may include evening or weekend work hours.
• Other duties as assigned
• Current RID (Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf) Certification, or BEI-Basic Certification
• Fluency in both American Sign Language and English with superior sign-to-voice and voice-to-sign language skills
• 3 + years of related interpreting experience as a certified professional, with strong demonstrated experience interpreting in the technology and warehouse work environments
. Intermediate skills with video communication technologies, and MS Office tools such as Outlook, Word and Excel
• Bachelor's Degree from accredited University
• BEI- Advanced or Master Level Certification
• Trilingual skills (English, ASL and one or more other spoken language)
• 5 years professional interpreting experience in a wide variety of environments, including technical/software business and warehouse settings.
• Experience using tactile ASL and close visual interpretation for individuals who are Deaf-Blind
• Oral interpretation for deaf or hard of hearing individuals who rely on lip-reading
• Strong problem solving, time management and priority setting skills
• Demonstrated ability to deal with confidential information, including sensitive human resources situations
• Exceptional customer service and communication skills, both verbal and in writing
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us
Back to top