Amazon is a fast paced technology company and a leader in the world of data centers. We are looking for proven technology mangers with experience in people management, strong technical understanding and the drive and vision to take our data center engineering operations to the next level. The successful candidate will have experience managing people and managers, creating, tracking and controlling budgets, devising strategies, mentoring people in all levels, sponsoring projects and proposing technical solutions.
The candidate will be responsible for strategic and tactical issues in Data Center Engineering Operations such as ensuring and sustaining safety, security, availability, cost management, risk assessment and mitigation, review corrective and preventative maintenance of critical infrastructure and metric reporting.
The successful candidate will be operationally responsible for multiple data centers. Some high-level responsibilities include:
- Act as an ambassador for safety within the team and to promote safe work efforts across the area
- Management of the team of Data Center Engineering Operation engineers; this includes all aspect of people/performance/rotation/technical management.
- Ensuring effective and efficient management of day to day Datacenter Engineering Operations.
- Manage/Improve operational workflows and risks
- Act as subject matter expert in the data centers mechanical, electrical and control systems.
- Ensure all operational KPIs and metrics are being measured and met.
- Play a key part in innovation and driving automation
- Be passionate about the quality and quantity of services and continuously strive to improve customer experience.
- Manage Large Scale Events or outages, manage on-call rotation and escalations.
- Perform vendor management for colocation facilities.
- Ensuring the data center is compliant with all relevant security & safety policies and procedures
- Oversee all aspects of the data center's critical physical infrastructure. Ensure that all work performed within the space is done to high quality and without impact to internal/external customers
- Engage in improvement projects, often requiring reaching out to a variety of support teams, and drive them from conception to completion
- Coordinates daily with a multitude of third party vendors ensuring adherence to contracted SLAs
- Effectively and efficiently manage the operations budget and expenditures
- Routinely operate as the afterhours on-call Data Center Manager for the data centers in the region. This will include responding to any issues within the data centers and managing the investigation, mitigation, and recovery of the issue(s)
- Provide support for weather events, planned outages, and unplanned outages
- An excellent understanding of the electrical and mechanical systems involved in critical data center operations including systems such as feeders, transformers, generators, switchgear, UPS systems, ATS units, PDU units, chillers, pumps, air handling units, and CRAC units
- Proven track record of people management and developing teams
- Ability to solve problems at their root, stepping back to understand the broader context.
- Has a strong aptitude for trouble shooting and problem solving
- Ability to maintain SLAs through the implementation of proactive issue detection and reporting
- Ability to follow accurate and complete support procedures, system documentation, and issue tracking entries
- Shows good judgment and instincts in decision making
- Ability to prioritize in complex, fast-paced environment
- Proactively and continually improve your level of knowledge about Amazon business and relevant technologies
- Able to demonstrate their ability to take ownership of technical issues brought to them by their customer base. If they are unable to resolve certain issues by themselves, can demonstrate a willingness to actively engage other support teams to drive it to resolution
- All qualifications mentioned above
- Advanced electrical or mechanical certifications (Bachelor's degree or higher in a relevant engineering discipline is also acceptable)
- 10+ years of experience working in data centers with an emphasis on building and equipment operation
- 6+ years of experience in a management position with 5 or more direct reports
Meet Some of Amazon's Employees
Senior UX Designer
Mae integrates human-centered design into tools that enable business partners to operate efficiently and intuitively. She analyzes customer needs and pain points to improve designs.
Back to top