Applied Scientist- Operations Research, Devices
Amazon Devices Demand Planning team is looking for an Applied Scientist with a background in Operations Research and Management Sciences. We develop sophisticated algorithms that involve learning from large amounts of past data, such as actual sales, prices, promotions, similar products and product's attributes in order to forecast the demand for all Amazon devices. These forecasts are used to determine if we should green-light products, the level of investment in capital expenditures, ordering material, managing inventory and determining financial performance. We also work closely with Supply Chain and Logistics teams to optimize our inventory allocation in our worldwide channels given operational constraints.
The successful candidate will be a self-starter, comfortable with ambiguity, with strong attention to detail, an ability to work in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment and a desire to help share the overall business.
You will have an opportunity to work on large mathematical problems, with large elements of unpredictability. You will write and solve linear and mixed-integer problems to find optimal solutions to build decisions given capacity constraints and the demand distributions. You will also drive process changes that comes with automation and smarter optimization. You are an individual with outstanding analytical abilities, communication skills, and are comfortable working with technical teams and systems. You will be responsible for researching, experimenting, and analyzing forecasting strategies and mathematical models. You will also be prototyping the implementations.
- Design and develop complex mathematical, simulation and optimization models and apply them to define strategic and tactical needs and drive the appropriate business and technical solutions
- Apply theories of mathematical optimization, including linear programming, combinatorial optimization, integer programming, dynamic programming, network flows and algorithms to design optimal or near optimal solution methodologies to be used by in-house decision support tools and software.
- Build a simulation based optimization platform to drive long-term decision making processes
- Prototype these models by using modeling languages such as R, MATLAB, Mosel or in software languages such as Python. A software team will be working with you to transform prototypes into production.
- Create, enhance, and maintain technical documentation, and present to other Scientists.
In order to perform the above responsibilities well, you also need to
- Gather data required for analysis and mathematical model building by writing ad-hoc scripts and database queries in a Redshift environment.
- Interact with software and business groups to develop an understanding of their business requirements and operational processes.
- MS in Operations Research, Industrial Engineering, Management Science or a related field with 3+ years of industry experience
- Strong background in building mathematical models and prototyping
- Strong background in stochastic and deterministic optimization techniques and simulation
- A working knowledge of linear and non-linear optimization methods accompanied by expertise in the use of OR tools (e.g. CPLEX, Gurobi, XPRESS).
- The ability to implement optimization models and tools through the use of high-level modeling languages (e.g. AMPL, Mosel, R, MATLAB).
- Fluency in a high-level modeling language such as R, SAS, MATLAB or other statistical software
- Strong communication, influencing and partnership skills
- Experience building, iterating, and validating predictive data models from scratch
- Ability to convey rigorous mathematical concepts and considerations to non-experts
- Ability to distill problem definitions, models, and constraints from informal business requirements; and to deal with ambiguity and competing objectives
- Superior verbal and written communication skills
- Knowledge of relational databases (SQL)
- PhD in Operations Research, Industrial Engineering or a related field with 3+ years of industry experience
- Experience with large data sets, big data and analytics
- Prior background in machine learning and forecasting is a plus
- Experience designing and supporting large-scale distributed systems in a production environment
- Proficiency in at least one modern programming language such as Java or C++/C#
- 1+ years of relevant development experience in Object-Oriented Design and Service Oriented Architecture
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.
Meet Some of Amazon's Employees
Senior UX Designer
Mae integrates human-centered design into tools that enable business partners to operate efficiently and intuitively. She analyzes customer needs and pain points to improve designs.
Back to top