Amazon is the 4th most popular site in the US (http://www.alexa.com/topsites/countries/US). Our product search engine is one of the most heavily used services in the world, indexes billions of products, and serves hundreds of millions of customers world-wide. Amazon Search team is responsible for the worldwide customer facing search features on desktops, tablets, and mobile devices everything from the moment a customer clicks into the search box to when they view search results. We are working on a new AI-first initiative to re-architect and reinvent the way we do search through the use of extremely large scale next-generation deep learning techniques. Our goal is to make step function improvements in the use of advanced Machine Learning (ML) on very large scale datasets, specifically through the use of aggressive systems engineering and hardware accelerators. This is a rare opportunity to develop cutting edge ML solutions and apply them to a problem of this magnitude. Some exciting questions that we expect to answer over the next few years include: - Can a focus on compilers and custom hardware help us accelerate model training and reduce hardware costs?
- Can combining supervised multi-task training with unsupervised training help us to improve model accuracy?
- Can we transfer our knowledge of the customer to every language and every locale ?
As an Applied Science manager, you will lead the science innovation. You will work with scientists and engineers to identify opportunities, solve the problems using data-driven algorithms and bring the solutions to production. All your work has a direct and visible impact on shopping experiences of Amazon customers. Joining this team, you'll experience the benefits of working in a dynamic, entrepreneurial environment, while leveraging the resources of Amazon.com (AMZN), Earth's most customer-centric company.
• M.S. in Computer Science, Information Retrieval, Machine Learning, Natural Language Processing, Statistics, Mathematics, or related discipline
• At least 2 years of experience in managing a team of applied scientists and engineers.
• At least 5 years experience in building large-scale machine learning and solutions at scale.
• At least 2 years programming experience in Java, Python, Scala, C++, or other mainstream language
• Excellent oral and written communication skills, with the ability to communicate complex technical concepts and solutions to all levels of the organization.
• Ph.D. in Computer Science, Information Retrieval, Machine Learning, Natural Language Processing.
• Experience with Internet-scale distributed technologies.
• Experience in natural language processing.
• Experience in knowledge distillation
• Published research work in academic conferences or industry circles.