Applied Scientist II
- Cambridge, MA
Amazon is looking for a passionate, talented, and inventive Scientist with a strong machine learning background to help build industry-leading Speech and Language technology. Our mission is to push the envelope in Automatic Speech Recognition (ASR), Natural Language Understanding (NLU), and Audio Signal Processing, in order to provide the best-possible experience for our customers.
As a Scientist, you will work with talented peers to develop novel algorithms and modeling techniques to advance the state of the art in spoken language understanding. Your work will directly impact our customers in the form of products and services that make use of speech and language technology. You will leverage Amazon's heterogeneous data sources and large-scale computing resources to accelerate advances in spoken language understanding.
We are hiring in all areas of spoken language understanding: ASR, NLU, text-to-speech (TTS), and Dialog Management.
• Participate in the design, development, evaluation, deployment and updating of data-driven models and analytical solutions for machine learning (ML) and/or natural language (NL) applications.
• Develop and/or apply statistical modeling techniques (e.g. Bayesian models and deep neural networks), optimization methods, and other ML techniques to different applications in business and engineering.
• Routinely build and deploy ML models on available data.
• Research and implement novel ML and statistical approaches to add value to the business. Mentor junior engineers and scientists.
• PhD or equivalent Master's Degree plus 4+ years of experience in CS, CE, ML or related field
• 2+ years of experience of building machine learning models for business application
• Experience programming in Java, C++, Python or related language
• Master's degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Sciences, or Mathematics with specialization in speech recognition, natural language processing, or machine learning.
• 3+ years relevant industry experience
• Experience with programming languages such as C/C++, Python, Java or Perl
• Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Math or related fields with specialization in speech recognition or signal processing.
• Ability to relate to and solve business problems through data mining and statistical algorithms.
• Aspiration to push your ideas into production, overcoming obstacles, in order to benefit Amazon's customers.
• Familiar with the core undergraduate curriculum of Computer Science.
• Experience in building speech recognition and natural language processing systems (e.g. commercial speech products or government speech projects)
• Algorithm development experience
• Technical fluency; comfort understanding and discussing architectural concepts and algorithms, schedule tradeoffs and new opportunities with technical team members.
• Publications at top-tier peer-reviewed conferences or journals
• Familiar with the techniques and limitations of observational studies.
• Familiar with theory and practice of information retrieval, relevance, machine learning, and data mining.
• Skilled at data visualization and presentation.
• Excellent critical thinking skills, combined with the ability to present your beliefs clearly and compellingly in both verbal and written form.
• Energy and willingness to formulate, test, and discard or revise many hypotheses to help Amazon improve its product catalog.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age.
Back to top