Amazon Photos helps consumers preserve and re-live their memories. The service comes with unlimited photo storage for Prime members and apps are available on iOS, Android, Web, Desktop, Fire Tablet & Fire TV. The service is also integrated into Alexa devices such as Echo Show and Echo Spot. Amazon Photos is the latest digital offering to consumers released on the heels of the Amazon Music and Amazon Video offerings. We have ambitious goals to scale growth and adoption of the service around the world and delight our customers with a great product.
Who you are:
If you are a strong applied scientist with a background in computer vision, who is passionate about working with massive amounts of data to improve the lives of millions of customers, then this is the right opportunity for you.
In Amazon Photos we have unique opportunities to help people connect with their most valuable experiences, and making these opportunities a reality requires innovative machine learning and computer vision. The kind of opportunities we have are not a repeat of problems described in academic papers in either scale or depth. Our users trust us to store their full collection of photos and videos over time and across all their life experiences and learning and reinforcing what matters to them is key to delighting our users
We are open to working remotely.
As an applied scientist, you will help solve a variety of technical challenges and mentor other scientists in our team. You will play an active role in translating business and functional requirements into elegant, beautiful solutions and build quick prototypes or proofs of concept in partnership with other technology leaders within our team. You will take on challenging, novel situations every day and given the size of this initiative, you'll have the opportunity to collaborate with multiple technical teams at Amazon in different locations. You'll need to be comfortable with a degree of ambiguity that's higher than most projects and love the idea of solving problems that haven't been solved at scale before - anywhere. When you join our team, we guarantee that you'll learn a ton, have fun and make a positive impact on millions of people.
You will work with a team of highly skilled and motivated engineers and scientists, who are building the next generation of Amazon Photos features, using machine learning and deep learning. As part of your job, you will deal with large amounts of training data, define the models, rapidly prototype new models that meet stringent performance requirements, perform offline and online testing, push these models to production, and define the direction our product, performance, and features take.
What you will do here:
- Help invent, build and monitor the performance of state-of-the-art computer vision models for a variety of different tasks. The scale as well as diversity of data for crafting these models is unlike what would be encountered in any academic and in most industry settings. Collaborate with data engineers and software developers on building data pipelines to ingest, process and analyze the data that are important for the computer vision models.
- Collaborate with software developers on how to productionalize the models at Amazon scale.
- Be proactive in understanding and questioning the quality of the provided data. Provide ways to monitor the quality of the data that is needed for building the computer vision models and mitigate noisy data when necessary.
- Be proactive in diving deep on the strengths and weaknesses of these models, continuously evaluating them and suggesting ways to quantify the patterns of errors that the models make.
- PhD or equivalent Master's Degree plus 4+ years of experience in CS, CE, ML or related field
- 2+ years of experience of building machine learning models for business application
- Experience programming in Java, C++, Python or related language
- Ability to lead and mentor engineers
- Masters (in CS or related field) or equivalent
- Experience building high-quality scalable production software
- Familiarity with many development languages: C++, Java, Python, expert in at least one
- Experience with full development life cycle for large-scale software products including experience with service oriented architectures, design patterns, web services, and web applications/services development
- 2+ years of experience working with Big Data
- Experience working with Spark, Hadoop, and AWS (EC2, S3, EMR, etc.)
- Proficient developing software in Linux/Unix environments