Applied Scientist II
- Bad Hersfeld, Germany
Machine Learning, Big Data and related quantitative sciences have been strategic to Amazon from the early years. Amazon has been a pioneer in areas such as recommendation engines, eCommerce fraud detection and large-scale optimization of fulfillment center operations.
As Amazon has rapidly grown and diversified, the opportunity for applying machine learning has exploded. We have a very broad collection of practical problems where machine learning systems can dramatically improve the customer experience, reduce cost, and drive speed and automation. These include automated pricing and demand forecasting for hundreds of millions of products, predicting ad click probabilities, ranking product search results, matching products from multiple sources, classifying products into large taxonomies, information extraction and sentiment analysis for product reviews, voice recognition, natural language understanding, question answering and conversational systems.
Your work will focus on retrieving, cleansing and preparing large scale datasets, training and evaluating models and deploying them to production, with continuous monitoring and evaluation. You will work on large engineering efforts that solve significantly complex problems facing global customers. You will be trusted to operate with independence and are often assigned to focus on areas with significant impact on audience satisfaction. You must be equally comfortable with digging in to customer requirements as you are drilling into design with development teams and developing production ready learning models. You consistently bring strong, data-driven business and technical judgment to decisions.
You will work with internal and external stakeholders, cross-functional partners, and end-users around the world at all levels. Our team makes a big impact because nothing is more important to us than pleasing our customers, continually earning their trust, and thinking long term. You are empowered to bring new technologies and deep learning approaches to your solutions.
• Masters in Computer Science, Machine Learning, Operational Research, Statistics or a related quantitative field with 4+ years of work experience applying the same or PHD in Computer Science, Machine Learning, Electrical, or a related Science field
• Proficiency in algorithm and model development, model validation and model implementation for large-scale applications in the streaming domain
• Experience distilling customer requirements into problem definitions, dealing with ambiguity and competing objectives
• Strong communication and data presentation skills
• Hands-on experience programming in R, Java, C#, C++ or similar programming languages
• Strong fundamentals in problem solving, algorithm design and complexity analysis
• Top tier publication and Research experience record
• Maintain an understanding of industry and technology trends in area of research.
• Strong personal interest in learning, researching, and creating new technologies with customer impact
• Superior verbal and written communication and presentation skills, ability to convey rigorous mathematical concepts and considerations to non-experts.
• Proven track record in technically leading and mentoring scientists as well as engineers
Back to top