The Item Safety team has an opening for an outstanding ML scientist who is passionate about applying advanced ML and statistical techniques to solve real-world challenges. The team is part of the Amazon Advertising business, which serves millions of personalized Ads every day. We delight in data, and are constantly working to enhance and improve our models. We relentlessly optimize to keep delivering the best possible experience for our customers.
You will work in an agile and fast-paced team of scientists and software engineers at our development centre in Edinburgh, Scotland. The team is working to improve the quality of the Advertisements that we deliver to our customers using ML techniques. As a scientist on the team, you can be involved in every aspect of the process - from idea generation, business analysis and scientific research, through to development and deployment of advanced models - giving you a real sense of ownership. The systems that you help to build will operate at massive scale and will affect millions of customers around the world. From day one, you will be working with experienced scientists, engineers, and designers who love what they do.
We are looking for ML scientists who can delight our customers by continually learning and inventing. Our ideal candidate is an experienced ML scientist who has a track-record of performing analysis and applying statistical techniques to solve real business problems, who has great leadership and communication skills, and who is motivated to achieve results in a fast-paced environment. The position offers an exceptional opportunity to grow your technical and non-technical skills and make a real difference to the Amazon Advertising business.
• Rapidly design, prototype and test many possible hypotheses in a high-ambiguity environment, making use of both quantitative analysis and business judgment.
• Collaborate with software engineering teams to integrate successful experimental results into large-scale, highly complex Amazon production systems.
• Report results in a manner which is both statistically rigorous and compellingly relevant, exemplifying good scientific practice in a business environment.
• Promote the culture of experimentation and applied science at Amazon.
We offer a strong benefits package including healthcare. This is your opportunity to develop a rewarding career, work in a unique environment, and be part of a passionate and international team.
In return, we offer a highly competitive salary, and other excellent benefits including healthcare.
This is your opportunity to develop a rewarding career in a unique, passionate, and international environment, work hard, have fun and make history!
• Experience programming in Java, C++, Python or related language
• Experience of building machine learning models for business application
• PhD or equivalent Master's Degree plus experience in CS, CE, ML or related field
• Degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, Economics, Statistics, or related quantitative field.
• Experience applying statistical techniques to solve real business problems.
• Strong computer science grounding in a broad range of algorithms and data-structures.
• Proficiency in an object-orientated programming language (C++, Java, C#, C, Perl/Ruby, etc.)
• Proficiency with mathematical programming environments (R, Matlab, Numpy/Scipy, SAS, etc.)
• Programming skills sufficient to extract, transform, and clean large (multi-terrabyte) data sets in a Unix/Linux environment.
• Excellent critical thinking skills, combined with the ability to present your ideas clearly and compellingly in both verbal and written form.
• Results oriented with a strong customer and business focus.
• Ability to take raw product requirements and bring them to life.
• Highly innovative, flexible and self-directed, but also a cooperative team player.
• Ability to communicate and discuss topics with technical, design and business audiences.
• Experience at dealing with ambiguous and undefined problems.
• Able to thrive in a challenging and dynamic environment.
• Strong sense of ownership and a passion to deliver a world-class user experience.
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build.
All offers are conditional on references, verification of the right to work in the UK, and a successful background screening check. This check will include previous employment verification, qualification verification (if relevant) and a basic criminal check. Further details of this policy and procedure will be sent to you along with your conditional offer.