Alexa is the Amazon cloud service that powers Echo, the groundbreaking new Amazon device designed around your voice. We believe voice is a natural user interface for interacting with the home and is fundamental to enabling the dream of the smart, connected home. We are seeking an Applied Scientist for the Devices Entity Resolution team who will support development efforts on international core speech language understanding services, playing a key role in making this vision a reality.
The Devices Entity Resolution team is responsible for determining which devices and device features customers are referencing when asking Alexa to control their devices with directives such as "turn on the lights," "start the gentle cycle," and "play Wanda Vision on my big TV". By building on state-of-the-art multilingual linguistic models, knowledge distillation techniques, and the distributed and scalable computing power of Amazon, we can resolve entities for our customers even when they are mis-specified (or mistranscribed), or ambiguous. Our work impacts millions of customers all over the world.
As an Applied Scientist on our team, you will own the development of multilingual linguistic models and personalized behavioral models that improve entity resolution in Alexa. You'll design and help implement these systems, with a team of strong Software Developers to support you. You'll have the opportunity to collaborate with other ML scientists across multiple Alexa organizations. You will influence your team's science strategy by making insightful contributions to team priorities and approach. You will be involved Amazon-wide Machine Learning Community, participating in internal and external reading groups, meet ups, hackathons, and conferences. You will actively participate in the hiring process as well as mentoring others.
• PhD or equivalent Master's Degree plus 4+ years of experience in CS, CE, ML or related field
• 2+ years of experience of building machine learning models for business application
• Experience programming in Java, C++, Python or related language
• PhD degree with 4 years of applied research experience or a Masters degree and 2+ years of experience of applied research experience
• Breadth and depth in knowledge and applications of machine learning algorithms and best practices.
• At least 2 years of hands-on experience in building Machine. Learning solutions to solve real-world problems.
• At least 1 year of experience with computer science fundamentals in object-oriented design, data structures, algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis.
• At least 2 years of experience with at least one modern programming language such as Python, Scala, Java, C++
• Experience with Big Data technologies such as AWS, Hadoop, Spark, Pig, Hive, Lucene/SOLR or Storm/Samza
• Published research work in academic conferences or industry circles
• Excellent oral and written communication skills, with the ability to communicate complex technical concepts and solutions to all levels of the organization
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us