- Seattle, WA
Amazon Science gives you insight into the company's approach to customer-obsessed scientific innovation. Amazon fundamentally believes that scientific innovation is essential to being the most customer-centric company in the world. It's the company's ability to have an impact at scale that allows us to attract some of the brightest minds in artificial intelligence and related fields. Our scientists continue to publish, teach, and engage with the academic community, in addition to utilizing our working backwards method to enrich the way we live and work.
Please visit https://www.amazon.science for more information.
Amazon.com's Buyer Risk Prevention's (BRP) mission is to make Amazon the safest and most trusted place worldwide to transact online. BRP safeguards every financial transaction across all Amazon sites. As such, BRP designs and builds the software systems, risk models, and operational processes that minimize risk and maximize trust in Amazon.com. The BRP organization is looking for a Applied Scientist for its Risk Mining Analytics (RMA)'s team, whose mission is to combine advanced analytics with investigator insight to detect negative customer experience, improve system effectiveness, and prevent bad debt across Amazon.
As a Applied Scientist, you will be responsible for modeling complex problems, discovering insights, and building cutting edge risk algorithms that identify opportunities through statistical models, machine learning, and visualization techniques to improve operational efficiency and reduce bad debt.
You will need to collaborate effectively with business and product leaders within BRP and cross-functional teams to build scalable solutions against high organizational standards. The candidate should be able to apply a breadth of tools, data sources, and ML techniques to answer a wide range of high-impact business questions and proactively present new insights in concise and effective manner.
The candidate should be an effective communicator capable of independently driving issues to resolution and communicating insights to non-technical audiences. This is a high impact role with goals that directly impacts the bottom line of the business.
• Analyze terabytes of data to define and deliver on complex analytical deep dives to unlock insights and build scalable solutions through Data Science/ML to ensure security of Amazon's platform and transactions
• Build Machine Learning and/or statistical models that evaluate the transaction legitimacy and track impact over time
• Ensure data quality throughout all stages of acquisition and processing, including data sourcing/collection, ground truth generation, normalization, transformation, and cross-lingual alignment/mapping
• Define and conduct experiments to validate/reject hypotheses, and communicate insights and recommendations to Product and Tech teams
• Develop efficient data querying infrastructure for both offline and online use cases
• Collaborate with cross-functional teams from multidisciplinary science, engineering and business backgrounds to enhance current automation processes
• Learn and understand a broad range of Amazon's data resources and know when, how, and which to use and which not to use.
• Research and implement novel machine learning and statistical approaches
• Maintain technical document and communicate results to diverse audiences with effective writing, visualizations, and presentations
• Masters in quantitative discipline, e.g. Mathematics, Statistics, Operations Research, Artificial Intelligence
• 3+ years' experience in business analytics, forecasting or business planning with emphasis on analytical modeling, quantitative reasoning and metrics reporting preferably from an internet environment
• 3+ years of hands on experience with statistical software tools: SAS, SPSS, Strata, R, Python or Matlab
• Experience in machine learning and statistical techniques such as classification, clustering, regression, statistical inference, collaborative filtering, and natural language processing, experimental design, social networking analysis, feature engineering etc.
• Demonstrate understanding and experience with relational data sets, data warehouses, data mining and data analysis techniques
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer - Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation
• A PhD in CS, Machine Learning, Statistics, Operations Research, Artificial Intelligence
• 4+ years of industry experience in predictive modeling and analysis
• Compelling communication and influencing skills and participation in winning the support of management and influence the course of major strategic decisions
• Experience in e-commerce / on-line companies in fraud / risk control functions
Back to top