The AWS Developer Tools org builds developer-focused products, frameworks, SDKs and services. This applied scientist role is for a new initiative that aims to redefine what software development looks like. Your role will be to help bring this new product to life as one of the founding members of this team.
As an applied scientist on our team, your role is to leverage your strong background in Computer Science and Machine Learning to help build our model development and assessment pipeline, harness and explain rich data at AWS scale, and provide automated insights to improve machine learning solution that will impact millions of developers every day. This role requires a pragmatic technical leader comfortable with ambiguity, capable of summarizing complex data and models through clear visual and written explanations. The ideal candidate will have experience with machine learning models and information retrieval system. We are particularly interested in experience applying natural language processing, deep learning, and reinforcement learning at scale. Additionally, we are seeking candidates with strong rigor in applied sciences and engineering, creativity, curiosity, and great judgment.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-live balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
AWS has the most services and more features within those services, than any other cloud providerfrom infrastructure technologies like compute, storage, and databasesto emerging technologies, such as machine learning and artificial intelligence, data lakes and analytics, and Internet of Things. Whether its Identity features such as access management and sign on, cryptography, console, builder & developer tools, and even projects like automating all of our contractual billing systems, AWS Platform is always innovating with the customer in mind. The AWS Platform team sustains over 750 million transactions per second.
Learn more about Amazon on our Day 1 Blog: https://blog.aboutamazon.com/
• A MS in CS, Machine Learning or in a highly quantitative field.
• 3+ years of hands-on experience (academic or industrial) in predictive modeling and large data analysis.
• Strong coding and problem-solving skills in at least one programming language such as Python, Java, C++, etc.
• Working knowledge of web-scale data processing.
• Sound theoretical understanding of broad machine learning concepts, with deep and demonstrable expertise in at least one topic or application of machine learning.
• A PhD in CS, Machine Learning or in a highly quantitative field.
• Prior work experience as an applied scientist or a data scientist at a consumer product company.
• Experience using an object-oriented language to write production-ready code.
• Strong record of publications in one of the following areas: information retrieval, natural language processing, recommender systems, reinforcement learning, multi-armed bandits.
• Industry experience working with search engines, autocomplete, or recommender systems.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.