Applied Science Manager
- Seattle, WA
How can we improve the customer experience by tailoring the information we have to provide a seamless shopping experience? How do we build different models leveraging algorithms that will help us innovate? What is the relationship between what the customer actually thinks vs. what is being suggested vs what they actually end up buying? How can we do all of this without disrupting the customer experience and also understand the customer without asking them? Does that sound fun and interesting? The solution or answers to these questions and others like them are fundamental in helping Digital Content businesses.
Digital Content is a growing multi-disciplinary team addressing everyday customer needs through a combination of software engineering, web development, hardware development, and applied research. Today the online shopper's largest friction is evaluating fit and size, and other details. Our team's ultimate goal is for customers to easily discover items they will like and to get the right one the first time they look for it.
As an Applied Science Manager, you will be the technical lead on a team using Amazon's large-scale computing resources to build models describing best suited recommendations and work with domain experts and engineers to turn those models into production solutions. You will participate in the Amazon ML community and mentor Applied Scientists and software development engineers with a strong interest in and knowledge of ML. Your work will directly benefit customers and the Digital Content business, such as Kindle, Amazon Music, Audible and much more. We are looking for a passionate, hard-working, and talented Applied Science Manager who has experience building mission critical, high volume applications that customers love. You will have an enormous opportunity to lead and make a large impact on the design, architecture, and implementation of cutting edge products used every day, by people you know.
In joining this team, you'll experience the benefits of working in a dynamic, entrepreneurial environment, while leveraging the resources of Amazon.com (AMZN), Earth's most customer-centric company.
• Use machine learning and analytical techniques to create scalable solutions for business problems
• Analyze and extract relevant information from large amounts of Amazon's historical business data (e.g. product catalog, browsing history, images, search queries) to perform feature engineering
• Design, development and evaluation of generalized ML models
• Work closely with software engineering teams to drive real-time model implementations and new feature creations.
• Work closely with business stakeholders to identify opportunities of current model improvements and new models to significantly benefit the business bottom-line.
• Establish scalable, efficient, automated processes for large scale data analyses, model development, model validation and model implementation
• Research and implement novel machine learning and statistical approaches.
• MS in Computer Science, Machine Learning, Operational Research, Statistics or a related quantitative field
• At least 1-2 years of experience in a tech lead capacity, or managing a team of applied scientists and engineers.
• At least 5+ years of hands-on experience in predictive modeling and analysis
• Strong algorithm development experience
• Skills with Java, C++, or other OOP language, as well as with Python, R, MATLAB or similar scripting language
• Strong communication and data presentation skills
• Extensive experience applying theoretical models in an applied environment.
• Expertise on a broad set of ML approaches and techniques, ranging from Artificial Neural Networks to Bayesian Non-Parametrics methods.
The ideal candidate will have a PhD in Mathematics, Statistics, Machine Learning, or a related quantitative field, and 7+ years of relevant work experience, including:
• 7+ years of hands-on experience in predictive modeling and analysis
• Significant peer reviewed scientific contributions in relevant field.
• Strong fundamentals in problem solving, algorithm design and complexity analysis.
• Passionate personal interest in learning, researching, and creating new technologies with high commercial impact.
• Experience with defining organizational research and development practices in an industry setting.
• Proven track in leading, mentoring and growing teams of scientists.
• Expert in more than one more major programming languages (C++, Java, or similar) and at least one scripting language (Perl, Python, or similar).
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build.
Back to top